This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

I left.

I don’t know why, but I did. The reason I gave her? I had to. There was a whole world to witness. I wanted to do it uninhibited. I wanted to do it alone. It was the night of her life. The music? Lackluster. The food? Cold and disagreeable. The fun? Hidden underneath the surface. Even if you were to find it, it was brief and unfulfilling. But she smiled nonetheless. She grinned the beautiful grin that could break a heart if you looked at it for too long. Her usual hoodie and jeans was now replaced with a long, red dress. The way she wore it, you knew that she held all the cards, and the room was constantly at her whim. Long ago, she chose me. Out of all the Jacks and Kings she looked at a Joker, and saw an Ace. I made a promise that she’d be the last one, the last love. A promise I kept wholeheartedly, until I left. In a perfect world, I would have brought her with me everywhere, her only burdens being a golden, jeweled band on her left hand, and my last name,  should she choose to accept it.

But I left. I left her. I left my home. I left my heart.

Photo Credit