This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

It’s mid- November, so that means the temperature has dropped. It is now significantly colder than it was when we first came to school in August, so some concessions have to be made for the cooler weather. If you’re like me, you don’t like cold weather. I much prefer warm weather because, in warmer weather, you can walk to various places. You can swim. You get to wear fewer clothes. You don’t need as many blankets. You can hang out outside doing activities. The days are also significantly longer; it isn’t pitch black at just 5 PM.

So for those who are not used to this type of weather here is some advice:

1. Get a good coat. If you’re from somewhere that does not typically get cold, then you should get a coat here. If you can’t afford an expensive one, look for non-name brand options or check out your local thrift store.

2. Layers. Layers. Layers. Layer it up. This isn’t usually an issue since layers are also really cute. Even if it’s a relatively thin layer, just one extra layer can do a lot to help keep you warmer.

3. Turn that heat up. Your house can get cold and there’s nothing worse than being cold outside then walking into your house and it is cold too. Turn that heat up especially if you live on campus. You paid for it at the beginning of the year.

4. Fight the urge to not do anything. Honestly for me when it gets really cold I don’t want to do anything. I just want to sit at home and drink tea. Fight that urge! Don’t let the weather control your destiny. Go to class. Don’t let one little moment cause you to fail a class or miss an appointment. It’s not worth it in the long run.

5. Drink lots of water. You need to constantly be drinking lots of water. You can still get dehydrated even if you’re cold. It also helps fight out off a cold or flu, both of which are all too common during this season.

6. Get lots of vitamin C. If you feel yourself getting sick, start with early prevention. Vitamin C is the perfect combatant for a cold. If you aren’t a huge fan of fruits like oranges and strawberries, you can get tablets or powder packets from WalMart. Now they come in different flavors, but most importantly they work!

7. Pay attention to your emotions. Seasonal depression is a real thing. The cold doesn’t “make you sad” as some believe. There are other factors that come into play during this season that all pile up. If you start to not feel like yourself, reach out for help. Do NOT keep it all bottled up. Tell someone: a friend, teachers, pastor, mentor, or a counselor.

Those us of from warmer states have to remember: we can do it! This weather is only for a season (haha), so you can get through it. The most important thing to remember is to take care yourself. Your mental and physical health is so important. And don’t let the weather control you.

I'm a law student, blogger, jewelry designer, business owner, Keto eater, natural hair wearer, world traveling, author, liberty fighter, and Jesus loving girl.
A senior English major at Regent University. Mostly just a word nerd who also happens to be in love with film and K-pop. Always in search of new experiences, food, and friends. Feel free to come say hi on Twitter or Instagram