andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Guide To Disney World’s Moderately-Priced Resorts: Part 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

This article is dedicated to my fellow all-things-Disney-lovers. I have always wanted to go to Disney World and stay overnight at one of their resorts, but with more than 25 resorts to choose from, a girl has got to do her research.

In Part 1 of this series, we uncovered the cheapest options that Disney World offers for those of us who want to vacation on a budget. This guide will explore the moderately-priced resorts. They are affordable compared to other hotels, but pricey when one considers the cost of tickets to the park (not to mention plane tickets).

These moderately-priced resorts tend to cost anywhere from $175 to $250 per night, depending on the time of year you visit and the type of room you choose. Currently, Disney World offers five moderately-priced options. Let’s take a look, shall we?

1. Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort

I cannot possibly describe this resort as well as Disney’s website describes it, but I will attempt to. This resort is a tropical oasis built on 200 acres surrounding Barefoot Bay in the Epcot Resort Area. Swaying palm trees, colonial architecture, and six different villages or islands to stay in help make this tropical oasis feel like you’re actually staying on the Caribbean islands. The six different “colorful” villages guests can stay in include: Trinidad North, Trinidad South, Martinique, Barbados, Aruba, and Jamaica. This resort offers numerous pools so you can “pool hop” to the different islands and explore.

Some special features you’ll see at this resort include a pool with an 85-foot waterslide, six leisure pools (one per village), a pool bar, two different spas, play-areas for kids, pirate-themed rooms, and pirate adventure cruises for kids ages 4 to 12 years old.

The Old Port Royale Food Court offers a variety of dining options that will suit even the pickiest pirates. The whole food court is themed as a busy marketplace in a Caribbean port town. There are five counter-service restaurants to choose from, including Bridgetown Boiler, Grab-N-Go Market, Old Port Royale Hamburger Shop, Montego’s Deli, and the Royale Pasta and Pizza Shop. Guests who come to this food court can walk around on cobblestone streets under a magical ceiling that changes color depending on whether it’s dusk or dawn.

2. Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort

Located in the Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Resort Area, this romantic Spanish-themed resort is a “Southwestern-themed haven;” a “home away from home”. As guests travel back in time to Spanish Colonial Mexico, they can choose to stay in colorful casitas or “rustic” ranchos. If you like waterslides, you may find it difficult to choose between this resort and the first option. This resort offers two pools complete with waterslides. First, there’s the 50-foot replica of a Mayan pyramid. Inside you’ll find a waterslide that streams into the Lost City of Cibola pool. If you want to let out your wild side, you’ll love the Spitting Jaguar Slide! The pool area, which is called the Dig Site, is also home to the grandest hot tub at Disney World that can hold up to 22 people!

This resort has its own restaurant called the Maya Grill, which boasts traditional Mexican and American dishes. You’ll find bold, spicy, and even sweet flavors here that are sure to satisfy your palate.

Another unique feature special to this resort is the La Vida Health Club, 24-hour fitness facilities that include a range of spa and beauty services. If you’d rather unleash your inner kid, you’ll love the archeologically themed playground near the Dig Site complex.

3. Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter

Option #3, located in the Disney Springs Resort Area is a romantic and historic resort, perfect for two lovebirds. Embrace New Orleans’ historic French Quarter at this resort, which is complete with cobblestone streets, gas lamps, and wrought-iron balconies. Not only is this resort romantic, but it is lively, too. After all, you cannot truly experienced New Orleans if you don’t get to immerse yourself in some jazzy Mardis Gras fun!

This resort also boats two pools with waterslides. First up, there’s the Doubloon Lagoon, which includes alligator band décor and a 51-foot-long blue sea serpent waterslide. You’ll find the Mardi Grogs pool bar here, too. The second waterslide is on Ol’ Man Island. Here, you’ll find a rustic 95-foot tall waterslide in disguise as an old mill. You’ll also find a whirlpool spa, a kiddie pool, and a fishing hole area!

Some more unique features of this resort include the Skat Cat’s Club, a lounge where you can unwind with a drink, unabashedly stuff your face with appetizers, and tap your feet to some live jazz music. This resort is also one of only two Disney World resorts that offers horse-drawn carriage rides.  

This resort also has a really unique restaurant called Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory, a “quick-service” restaurant that serves Cajun and Creole cuisine and New Orleans’ classics such as beignets and  Mardis Gras king cake. I think I would just stop by here for their beignets! The décor is subtly Mardis Gras themed with Mardis Gras masks and colors, but it is still classy.

4. Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside

This resort, though close in proximity to the previous resort, is distinctly its own. Riverside is inspired from the romance of rural Louisiana. Ol’ Man Island is actually on this resort. On Ol’ Man island, guest can ride down the water slide in the shape of an old mill and huddle around a campfire for story time. Adult guests may enjoy the Muddy Rivers pool bar and a hot tub.

At Riverside, guests can choose between standard old-fashioned styled rooms or royal rooms, which are in a building that resembles an antebellum-styled southern mansion. Guests who opt to stay in the royal rooms may find hinds of Tiana and her friends from The Princess and the Frog and even some of Tiana’s princess pals.  

Boatwright’s Dining Hall, a rustic shipyard warehouse-themed joint, is open to guests for dinner and offers Louisiana home-style cooking classics such as gumbo, jambalaya, catfish, and lots of chicken. Tummy-warming desserts such as crème brulee, bread pudding, and pecan pie are available for those with a sweet tooth.  

For guests who are hungry for food and entertainment, the River Roost lounge is the perfect place to go. Here, guests enjoy drinks, live entertainment from comedian/musician, Yehaa Bob, and crowd-pleasing appetizers such bourbon barbecue shrimp. It’s also family friendly.

5. The Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort

I already told you about the Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort in Part 1, but now we’re going to be talking about the cabins, for those who want the option to be both indoors and outdoors. These cabins are also located in the Magic Kingdom Resort Area, but they tend to be pricier than the other moderate resorts. If I were to book a room right now, for instance, the rate would be about $366 per night. Fort Wilderness rests on 750 acres of pine and cypress forest. Guests are sure to see abundant wildlife, including deer, ducks, armadillos and rabbits. Adventure-seeking guests can hike on the scenic trails or slide down the corkscrew waterslide at the Meadow Swimmin’ Pool.

These fully-furnished cabins in the woods are spacious enough to fit six people. Guests will be charmed by these rustic cabins that have everything you could possibly need or want, including housekeeping that does your dishes! Every cabin includes a living room, bedroom area(s), full bathroom, private patio, charcoal grill, and kitchen that will suite guests’ modern needs complete with a refrigerator, a dishwasher, and a convection/microwave oven and two countertop burners so you don’t have to rough it! Better yet, there is an option for guests to preorder a pantry full of fresh groceries to come “home” to the minute they arrive!

For guests who want some good ol’ family fun, the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue is a great venue to visit. You’ll enjoy two hours of live entertainment, including singing, dancing, and vaudeville comedy. As you enjoy the entertainment, you’ll be able to chow down on an all-you-can eat assortment of country cooking, including fried chicken, smoked BBQ ribs, salad, baked beans, fresh-baked cornbread, and a scrumptious strawberry shortcake.

Photo Credit

All other photos are linked in order of appearance below:

https://secure.parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/resize/mwImage/1/640/360/75/wdpromedia.disney.go.com/media/wdpro-assets/gallery/resorts-new/caribbean-beach/Overview/caribbean-beach-resort-gallery01.jpg?14092015080319

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d0/10/23/d0102385a456862923e61140acba774c.jpg

https://secure.parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/resize/mwImage/1/640/360/75/wdpromedia.disney.go.com/media/wdpro-assets/gallery/coronado-springs/overview/coronado-springs-resort-gallery00.jpg?14112012112057

https://secure.parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/resize/mwImage/1/640/360/75/wdpromedia.disney.go.com/media/wdpro-assets/gallery/coronado-springs/overview/coronado-springs-resort-gallery02.jpg?14112012112138

https://secure.parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/resize/mwImage/1/640/360/75/wdpromedia.disney.go.com/media/wdpro-assets/gallery/resorts/port-orleans-resort-french-quarter/overview/port-orleans-resort-french-quarter-gallery00.jpg?13112014115507

https://secure.parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/resize/mwImage/1/640/360/75/wdpromedia.disney.go.com/media/wdpro-assets/gallery/resorts/port-orleans-resort-french-quarter/overview/port-orleans-resort-french-quarter-gallery04.jpg?13112014115513

https://secure.parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/resize/mwImage/1/640/360/75/wdpromedia.disney.go.com/media/wdpro-assets/gallery/resorts/port-orleans-resort-riverside/overview/port-orleans-resort-riverside-gallery00.jpg?13112014120055

https://secure.parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/resize/mwImage/1/640/360/75/wdpromedia.disney.go.com/media/wdpro-assets/gallery/resorts/port-orleans-resort-riverside/overview/port-orleans-resort-riverside-gallery02.jpg?13112014120057

https://secure.parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/resize/mwImage/1/640/360/75/wdpromedia.disney.go.com/media/wdpro-assets/gallery/resorts-fy16q4/cabins-at-fort-wilderness/Overview/cabins-at-fort-wilderness-resort-gallery01.jpg?15092016213959

https://secure.parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/resize/mwImage/1/640/360/75/wdpromedia.disney.go.com/media/wdpro-assets/gallery/resorts-fy16q4/cabins-at-fort-wilderness/Rooms/Non-Accessible/fw/room-fw-g11.jpg?15092016214147

Regent. Elementary Education Major. Junior Year. Twenty. Swedish. Candy Lover. Sweet-ish. God. Family. Friends.