This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

If you clicked on this article, you’ve probably given some thought to what you will do after you finish your Bachelor’s degree. You have lots of options, but if you are an upperclassman, you should put some serious thought into this question. When you decide to go to graduate school, you will likely have to take entrance exams and you will want to study and apply for several programs. This all takes time, so take this time to consider the value of a graduate program. There are many great reasons to pursue a graduate degree, but there are just as many reasons not to. Here are some things to consider if you are trying to decide whether graduate studies are for you.

Reasons to Go to Grad School

Probably the most straightforward reason to go to grad school is because you need to. If you want to be a doctor or lawyer or something of that nature, you need to to go in order to get a professional certification. In this case, make sure that’s definitely what you want to be. Try to get some internship experience in a relevant field and speak with professionals who are already in the field. This will help you figure out what you need to look for as you are searching for the right graduate program and may aid you in applying and acceptance as well.

There are several other professions that do not require a graduate degree to obtain a certification, however they will help and likely raise your expected salary. Teachers and certified public accountants, for instance, do not require a graduate degree. However, in order to take the CPA exam, there is a credit requirement. While this doesn’t specify what type of credits (grad or undergrad), it’s about equal to a Bachelor’s and an MS in Accounting. With a Master’s degree your starting salary will be higher, so it’s probably worth it. Again, talk to some professionals in your field to determine the best option for you.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about grad school, it’s that you have to love what you’re studying. If you already love what you’re studying and you just want to learn all you can, grad school might be a good choice. Depending on your field of study, consider a career in academia. If this interests you, talk with your professors about their experience and whether or not you’re cut out for a similar career path. Make sure to talk with them early and often so you can take courses that will best prepare you for graduate level study. Also consider trying to publish or co-publish a paper. Work with the faculty to find out if there are any undergraduate level research contests or conferences that might be of interest. This will help you build your resume for when you apply to grad school and it will also give you a taste of life in academia.

Finally, consider going to grad school for upward mobility. I am going to grad school because I spent some time working in my field and realized that a graduate degree will help distinguish me from my peers and provide more possibility for upward movement. A surprisingly limited number of my colleagues had a bachelor’s degree and even fewer had a graduate degree. However, many executive level positions in my field are populated by highly educated individuals. As someone who would like to move in that direction, I realized that getting my Master’s degree will help put me ahead of the pack in that respect. If you have a little bit of experience in your field and know that this is important to you, you should consider what programs are best suited to your personal goals and useful in your field.

Reasons Not to Go to Grad School

Just as there are plenty of good reasons to go, there are lots of bad reasons to go too. Probably one of the most common is, “I don’t know what to do with my life, so I guess I’ll keep going to school.” It may sound crazy to some, but for most upperclassmen, school has comprised the majority of your life. Going to grad school can feel like a safety blanket that will allow you to put off entering the real world and deciding what you want to do with your life. It’s ok to be scared, but don’t go to grad school because of it. Instead, get some experience. Test the waters and decide what you want to do. Try taking a few years to get internships or work some entry level positions. Feel free to experiment. Develop a passion that can pay the bills and then decide. If you realize you need a graduate for one of the above listed reasons, go for it! You will go in with more street smarts and hopefully some money in your pocket. If you decide not to go, that’s great too! Now you know what you want to do.

Some of you might get a little upset with me for this one, but hear me out. Don’t go to grad school because your parents told you to. Now, don’t get me wrong, you should absolutely listen to why they want you to go to grad school. You should carefully consider their advice and reasoning. Ultimately though, you should only go if you believe it is the best course of action for you. If I’ve learned anything from my experience in graduate school so far it’s that you need commitment. Your program will be substantially harder than your undergraduate studies so you can’t commit half-way. Only do it if you know you want it.

Finally, don’t go to graduate school to compensate for lack of personal experience in your field. It probably won’t help you get a job if you don’t have any hands on experience. Spend some time in an entry level role or an internship. Make sure you need another degree before you go get one. This will also help you determine which program is actually best for you instead of taking a shot in the dark and hoping it results in future employment. I would encourage everybody to have some real world experience in their field, even just a little, before making a decision to pursue graduate studies.

Making Decisions

When you’re thinking about this big step, make sure to talk to someone. In fact, talk to lots of someones who have done similar programs or practice the profession you want. Make sure to discuss what you’re looking into and ask lots of questions. Do research on different options in your area of interest and intended career path. Do a cost/benefit analysis. Essentially, figure out how much a graduate program will cost and balance that with how much graduates of that program make on average. Grad school is a financial investment, so make sure you’re getting a good value. Finally, consider whether to go now, wait, or not pursue a higher degree or well. Regardless of your decision, Godspeed and happy studying!

I'm the cat mommy of two wonderful little mischief makers and a full time graduate student working on my MBA. I'm a and all around nerd who enjoys policy and politics, science fiction, historical biographies, Dungeons and Dragons and above all a lover of learning. My greatest passion is helping people realize and achieve their goals.