Give Yourself Some Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

Those dreaded midterms are over; the long-awaited day of Spring Break is finally here! Sometimes it can be easy to fall into the eternal black hole of stress and bad habits when life gets busy and we are put under pressure. As students, we are constantly under this crunch to perform well under serious time constraints. When break rolls around, it is important to relax and de-stress from all the pent-up tension of the last few weeks. Here are four tips to help you relax and prepare to take on the last half of the semester:

1. Take some time for yourself! Seriously, this one is important. Give yourself a day or two to de-stress from school. Whatever this may look like for you – whether it’s sleeping all day, treating yourself to your favorite meal, curling up with a good book or movie, or going out with friends – do something that makes you happy. For once you don’t have to be worried about time constraints due to school projects. Find your happy place and stay there for a while.
  2. Devotions! Often during exam weeks, we can unintentionally push God aside. School has real deadlines with tangible consequences if those deadlines are not met, so other things can get forgotten. Spending time with the Lord will help to refocus and refresh you both inside and out. Remember, the goal of a break is to have fun and reset for the rest of the semester.
  3. Do something new! College is a unique time to find out new things about yourself. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try something adventurous and crazy! Have you always wanted to have a back-to-back Hobbit and Lord of the Rings marathon? Do it. Ever wanted to go white-water rafting? Now’s the time! Let loose and try something fun.
  4. Whether you want to or not, do not put off preparing for the rest of the semester. Take a few hours and look ahead to what needs to get accomplished in the next seven or eight weeks. Restock your supplies and get organized to take on the rest of the school year.

All-in-all, spring break is meant to be a time of fun and refreshment. Do what it takes to make yourself happy – because all too soon school will be starting again.

"Suffering passes, while love is eternal. That's a gift that you have received from God. Don't waste it.” - Laura Ingalls Wilder Ever since I can remember, I have always loved reading which eventually turned into a passion for creative writing. Although to date I have never been officially published, my goal is that one day I will be. My hope is that my writing will inspire, motivate, guide, and entertain readers. Even if my work touches only one person, I will feel content.  I love watching movies, traveling, hanging out with family and friends, and I am a major hockey fan (go Flyers!). Currently I am a college student, and by the grace of God will one day graduate. I love all things Lord of the Rings and Disney, love coffee and ice cream (or coffee ice cream), and going on adventures.