This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

For a long time now, I have dealt with generalized anxiety. I never realized how much anxiety slowly affected my life, or that anxiety was the culprit behind my worrying and stress. Throughout the years, I am learned effective coping mechanisms that help me deal with anxiety in a positive way. Here are some of the few ways I “overcome the obstacles of anxiety”, which can help others who suffer anxiety too!

Whenever I feel anxious, the first thing I like to do is deep breathing. Deep breathing helps me concentrate on myself and my emotions, and slow down my heart rate. It also allows me to “take control” of my body which is something I feel like I don’t have when I become anxious. I mostly like to slowly count down from 10 and breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth. For each number, I make sure to exhale so my breathing correlates with the rhythm of counting.

Another method I do when I’m experiencing anxiety is to rub my thumb on my arm. This provides a form of comfort through touch, and it is almost as if I am telling myself physically to relax. Rubbing my arm allows me to know I am okay and safe, and that just like deep breathing, I am still in control of my body and thoughts.

This next one was taught to me by a friend! To help yourself focus and calm back down, run cold water over the insides of your wrists or splash some on your face. This can aid in relaxation and provides a new sensation to focus on. This is also great for those who get sweaty or feel hot when they get overwhelming anxiety.

One of the last things I resort to when I feel anxious is being positive! I like to tell myself that it’s okay, I can do this, I have nothing to worry about, and I am doing great. Motivating myself helps me realize that I can great through anything I put my mind to and that I am in control of my own anxiety. I usually do this before a high-stress situation to remind myself that I am awesome!

Along with other methods such as listening to soft music, moving to an empty space/area, and writing my emotions down, these are the ways I cope with my anxiety. I hope that this article can lend a helping hand to a fellow anxious reader, and gives insight on how to help deal with anxiety!

Kaitlyn Berlanga

Quinnipiac '20

The sweetest, sassiest, most sarcastic girl you'll ever meet. Writing articles to better the lives of us girls :)