How To Rock The Peek-A-Boo Bra Trend (With Help From 7 Celebs!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

March came in like lion…now let’s hope it goes out like a lamb.  With spring-like weather (hopefully!) approaching, it’s time to focus on revamping our outfits with lighter jackets, along with more cropped sleeves and hemlines.  A classy but unexpected way to step into spring is with the peek-a-boo bra trend.  We saw the cheeky look make its appearance toward the end of summer 2013, but it’s far from old news.

Consult these 7 unique peek-a-boo-styled outfits, worn by highly admired female celebrities.  Then plan a Sunday funday and get to shopping, girls!  You’ll be lying out on the quad in no time.

1. Rihanna

Ri Ri pairs a lacey orange number with a sheer, collared shirt and loose boyfriend shorts.  She accessorizes the look with stunner shades, stacks of bracelets, and a cute denim cross-body bag.  White and denim blue are the neutral in this outfit, which really makes her pretty bra pop.  Try this look for running your weekend errands or for a study date.

2. Diane Kruger

This German beauty makes the plunging neckline on her fire-engine-red gown look more classy and less trashy by wearing a simple lace bandeau.  The strip of fabric covers up enough skin to keep people wondering.  If you have super low-cut tops or dresses, or cut-off tanks that are open on the sides, cover up a little more with a bandeau.

3. Ashley Olsen

Both Ashley and her twin sister are known for making statements with their street style.  Here, Olsen makes last season’s top work by not buttoning it all the way and allowing her pretty, cream lingerie to poke through.  (Tip: this look totally works for class, but save the belly-button show for more casual settings and hotter weather.)

4. Kelly Rowland

While she ain’t no Beyoncé, Rowland really knows how to work a peek-a-boo bra.  She takes a tuxedo-esque outfit one step further with bold jewelry and a black satin bra.  What keeps this look in check is the fact that the bra is the same color as the top. Try this style for date night.

5. Miley Cyrus

I’m still mourning the loss of this version of Miley.  She amps up a casual tank and leggings with a mauve bra, which peeks out only when she moves a certain way.  This discreet look is appropriate to wear to class, but funky enough to run errands or meet friends for brunch.  (The punchy handbag and messy bun don’t hurt, either!)

6. Lea Michele

The Glee star made the right choice when she chose this sexy-yet-sweet black gown.  The see-through portion looks more like a bodice than a bra, which makes it all feel very Victorian.  Choose dresses with this peek-a-boo style for nighttime events, and keep accessories to a minimum—as Lea does—to keep the focus on the gown’s beautiful details.

7. Gwen Stefani

Not surprisingly, Stefani handles this neons-and-neutrals look with ease.  She chooses a loose-fitting top with sheer paneling in the sleeves and allows both the cups and straps of her bra to pop through.  A bold lipstick is perfect for this outfit, assuming the two major pieces (top and bottom) remain in the neutral category.  Drinks, anyone?

There you have it, collegiates: an introduction to the unique ways to style the peek-a-boo bra trend, with help from the ladies who did it best.  To shop this trend, I suggest looking at Forever 21, Victoria’s Secret Pink, H&M, and Urban Outfitters.  They have a variety of options that range from sweet to sexy, and everyone knows everything is better in pretty lingerie.

Don’t forget to send us your badass #OOTD’s to @hercampus on Twitter and Instagram!  We have full faith that QU collegiates are going to werk this trend.  Xoxo, HCQU!

I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!