Acing College In and Out of the Classroom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

College is all fun and games until you’re sitting hungover in your 8 A.M with a test you didn’t study for in front of your face. With Wine Wednesdays, Thirsty Thursdays, and the Freakin’ Weekend, work and studying can pile up so high that it’s nearly impossible to get to it. With college, there is a big deal of going out and partying but also a great deal of work. Nothing is worse than failing or not doing well in classes, especially if you have to maintain a scholarship. To enjoy the best of both worlds, here is some advice to help you ace college and remain stress free.

Start Studying Early

If you have a test on Thursday, start studying over the weekend. Give yourself time to study and to be able to know the material. Breaking down everything little by little, day by day, will definitely reduce some stress too. When I have tests based on numerous chapters, I’ll do a chapter each day and then the day before study them all. Studying early does not mean spending all day in your room; pace yourself and take 2-3 hours a day. By the time test day comes, you will know everything and won’t be freaking out.

Study in Groups

Group studies are a great way to prep for a test. Just like the saying goes, 2 heads are better than 1! Having a group to study with can help you learn material that your brain can’t process. You can learn how your friends memorize facts, and they can teach you tricks they use to figure out problems and processes. Talking it out or explaining material to others can also help you learn what you need to know. Before your next test, grab some friends and head to the library to study!

Make Flashcards

Flashcards are my go-to for every test. Flashcards help because you can quiz yourself and teach yourself the material without staring at a piece of paper. The best way to study them is do 3 cards at a time, quiz yourself and do the next 3. Every time you complete a set of 3, go back to the beginning and quiz yourself up to where you left off. That way, you can learn everything piece by piece instead of trying to memorize 30 flashcards in one shot.

Do Homework Right Away

If you have an assignment that you can knock out in an hour or two, do it. Don’t wait until the day before or the day of to do homework. When I get an assignment or quiz that I know can take me a short amount of time, I do it either later that day or the next day. Knock out easy assignments right away so you won’t be stressed out later in the week or have to worry about it over the weekend. It’ll save you big time!

Plan Out Your Schedule

One thing I love to do is plan out my schedule. Writing your weekly schedule on a paper or planner can help keep you organized and on top of everything. If you have a hectic week and know you have a lot to do, write it out so you won’t forget and so you can figure out what you need to do. Even incorporate study time, that way you have a set schedule that you’ll want to follow.

Study with Classical Music

Studies show that studying with classical music in the background improves test performance and memorization. Next time you have to study, pop in some headphones and find a Classical Study playlist. When I study, I always listen to classical music and it helps me concentrate and learn things faster. Try it out and see if it improves your grades!

Kaitlyn Berlanga

Quinnipiac '20

The sweetest, sassiest, most sarcastic girl you'll ever meet. Writing articles to better the lives of us girls :)
Brooke Van Allen

Quinnipiac '19

Hi! My name is Brooke and I'm a Senior at Quinnipiac and the CC of our chapter. In addition to blogging, I am passionate about animal welfare, nature and environmentalism, holistic health, cooking, and travel (I Just returned from a semester abroad in Thailand). I'm a psychology major and am infatuated with the human mind and listening to and helping people with anything going on in their lives.