This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

This one goes out to all the dreamers who are curious about taking on a writing endeavour but are hesitant to do so. Whether you’re curious about journaling, writing for HerCampus, starting your own blog or taking on any other form of writing, my advice is to go for it. 

I’ve always had a knack for writing but I never really knew what to write about or what the point would be. I guess I felt that if no one was reading my words there wasn’t much point in writing them in the first place. 

laptop, coffee, writing
Photo by Thought Catalog from Unsplash

I still don’t know who is reading these articles, but at least I know that I’m writing them for you, my reader, my fellow university student. Knowing this gives me a sense of purpose and a desire to share all the jumbled thoughts in my head. For someone who struggles with anxiety and overwhelming thoughts every day, writing has become a form of meditation. For the past year, I have been writing for HerCampus but I have also been writing for myself, to work on my own mental health. 

When I write, I usually don’t know where I’ll end up. I’m usually mad, frazzled or confused. As I start writing down my thoughts and ideas, my mind quiets down and I know how I actually feel about a given topic. What’s more, when I write, I also get to create something I’m quite proud of. My day-to-day experiences and struggles are more than just that. When I write them down, I can understand my life experiences better. Likewise, hopefully by writing, someone out there, you perhaps, can relate to these same words, take them in and make them your own. 

Back-to-school supplies, agenda
Alexa Williams

Through my experience with HerCampus, I have found a love for writing, a unique form of therapy and a new way to voice my concerns and opinions. Being confident not only in my writing but in the fact that my voice is valid and deserves to be heard is such a fulfilling experience that fills me up with confidence. Through writing, I’ve realized that there is something extraordinary in the ordinary.  

Before joining HerCampus I used to worry that if I expressed my opinion in written words, I would be saying the wrong thing, in the wrong way. When I started reading articles on HerCampus I realized that a blank page was always my friend. A blank page waiting to be written isn’t a place of strict rules, certainty or absolute truths. It’s a place to ask questions, explore your thoughts and delve into the unknown. Writing is an opportunity to take on new challenges and to get to know yourself. 

Pixabay

So, I guess all I’m trying to say is that this is my thank you to HerCampus and to you, my reader, whoever you are. You’ve shown me the value of writing and the only way I can properly show my gratitude is by encouraging you to give writing a try. You have so many wonderful things to say and I can’t wait to hear about them. 

Camila Mercado

Queen's U '22

Camila is a third year student in Global Development and Psychology at Queen's University. She enjoys figure skating, learning new languages and advocating for mental health on campus!
HC Queen's U contributor