This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Amid the COVID-19 crisis that has rapidly increased throughout the world and within Canada, we are being encouraged to practice social distancing. Staying home means slowing the spread of the virus which is ultimately better for everyone. Although it feels like the world has come to a halt, university classes continue, but online. 

Switching to online schooling can be difficult to manage, especially if you’re lacking motivation while being home. For people with anxiety, the concern of the virus makes it difficult to concentrate on school work. With so much going on in the world, It is easy to fall behind in our classes.

In order to make completing school tasks easier, It is important to come up with a routine that you can follow. 

Get up and get dressed

This is perhaps the most important. If you stay in your pajamas all day you won’t feel motivated to do any work. Try to make your life as normal as possible, by keeping your daily routines of getting up and ready in the morning. 

Create a Schedule

Space out your week by giving yourself time slots to complete assignments. Write a list of everything you need to get done for the week. Tick each item off after you have completed it. This will allow you to stay on track of your assignments while navigating each course online. 

Follow your class schedule

In order to have some familiarity to your week, whenever you’re supposed to have class, work on an assignment for that class. 

Designate a time during the day to be productive

Let whoever you’re with at home know to refrain from bothering you unless important, during a time you designate for “class.”

Establish a study space

Having a study space, your own office in your house will help you to focus better than attempting doing work in your bed all day.

Collaborate with friends

Create a google doc with your friends to help make study guides. This allows you to do work together, as if you were studying with one another back at school.

Study with a friend on FaceTime

Quiz one another and go over material, be productive together. 

Reward yourself after completing tasks

Say to yourself, after I get this assignment done, I’ll go watch a movie with my family. This allows for you to feel successful throughout the day while also providing yourself with some relaxation.

Don’t be afraid to reach out to your professors and other students for help

Navigating an online course can be difficult especially if you don’t understand the new syllabus or the assignment instructions. Your professors are still there to help you, even if you can’t physically meet.

Continue to practice self-care

It’s difficult to stay isolated, and it can have a negative effect on your mental health. With the virus only getting worse, social distancing appears to be something that may last for a while. Take time out of your day to breathe. Don’t let yourself get too stressed. Speak to someone if you’re having a hard time with schooling right now. Your feelings are valid. There are professionals who are here to help you. Be kind to yourself and one another.

Alexandra is a fourth year student majoring in Sociology at Queen's University. She is also the president of a club on campus that she is passionate about; Girls Inc. at Queen's. She hopes her writing helps others as much as it helps her! 
HC Queen's U contributor