This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

I don’t believe in New Year’s resolutions. I know, it might be a bit of an odd thing to hear when your entire social media feed is filled with New Year’s resolutions ranging from going to the gym to reading more to meditating. But I think New Year’s resolutions are counterintuitive—there, I said it. I think that for one, January is not exactly an ideal time to attempt to flip your life around completely, and secondly, I don’t think the month of the year should determine whether you decide to take steps to better yourself. 

Now, this isn’t to say that New Year’s resolutions are inherently awful. They can and do work for some people. They do make some people feel better going into the new year, which is a great thing. The point of this is not to bash New Year’s resolutions, but to bash the pressure we feel to change ourselves and our lives come January. 

Summer Sparklers Fireworks Bonfire
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

January is a hard month for a lot of people, even outside of resolution pressures. Studies show that January is generally the most depressing month of the year. All that’s left of the holiday season is decorations to take down, and an empty bank account from buying gifts for loved ones. For many in North America and Europe, January is the height of the winter season, and the coldest, greyest time of year. Given this context, I don’t think it’s appropriate to pressure people into turning their lives around during an already difficult time for many. I believe that if you feel up to it then sure, make a goal for January, but if you are one of the many people that struggle during winter months, prioritize taking care of yourself rather than turning your life around. That’s a resolution I can get behind. 

I also think that the month of the year shouldn’t determine whether we choose to eat healthier, go outside more or rest more. Any month is a good time to make small or big changes. I think it’s silly that in November, many people choose not to make positive changes because they want to “wait for the New Year”. Every day is a new day, every week is a new week, and every month is a new month. The New Year is not the only time for new beginnings, so remember that next November when you’re feeling down about not “fulfilling” your resolution. 

All in all, I think taking small steps toward better health, happiness and mindfulness is a good thing. If January feels like a good time to do that for yourself, then please have at it! I am rooting for you! I am also rooting for the people who don’t have New Year’s resolutions, those who struggle in January, and those who decide to turn their lives around on a random Tuesday in August. I believe in taking steps to better yourself, but equally, believe that the pressure to do so at New Year’s is ridiculous and counterintuitive. So, with that, Happy New Year! Take steps toward happiness this year at your own pace, and on your own timeline.

Layla Artzy

Queen's U '25

I'm a 3rd-year student at Queen's University studying Politics. Some of my favourite things include vegan restaurants, coffee, self-care, the outdoors, and a good time with friends and family!