This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

The winter semester has started, marking the end of the breath of fresh air that was Christmas Break—a time to unwind with family, with the stress of the Fall semester blowing gently away with every Christmas carol sung and festive cookie eaten. And subsequent to the start of the semester, there is this wave of universal “seasonal depression,” that clouds over the excitement of the New Year; our time to relax has been halted in the face of reality. With that being said, it is important to remember to have balance, and to keep up with self-care. This year, let’s thrive; let’s maintain a social life and school life while focusing on mental and physical health. I will offer a few tips—things that I’ve done( or have read about and want to do) that have helped work towards balance.

First and foremost, procrastination must be flung out the window—out of sight, out of mind. This encourages time-management, which can reduce one’s workload and thus one’s stress. Secondly, I usually try to have a night of pure self-care and relaxation—preferably on Fridays, a day of classes, cleaning and getting my readings for my next few classes done. Afterwards, I treat myself to takeout, an old favourite TV show, a facemask and a detoxifying bath. In doing so, I not only motivate myself to complete tasks in a timely fashion, but also reward myself and allow my mind a few moments with minimal overthinking tabs open. Thirdly, Saturdays are my sleep-in days; the only day I allow myself to sleep through the morning for as long as mentally and physically desired, retiring my alarm for the morning of pure bliss. By doing that, I feel I allow my body and mind the rest I may have not received in the days prior, and thus I wake up feeling like a fully-charged iPhone. Last but not least, I enjoy the occasional workout/walk that releases the built-up tension and stress of having to be a student and an adult. I hope everyone maintains a healthy balance this semester, and prioritizes well-being over the obstacles that may be dispensed by life’s overbearing heft of drama. Thenceforth and conclusively, take care of yourselves; let’s stick to our resolutions and make 2020 a year of prosperity, success and happiness. 

Susan Mokh

Queen's U '21

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.
HC Queen's U contributor