This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Celebrity collaborations with food brands and restaurants are up and happening right now, especially during the pandemic. And honestly, I don’t know how to feel about them. What’s the point of them, really? To just order what the celebrity usually orders? Maybe! But for some reason, I always thought these collabs would add something NEW to the menu. 

But let’s take a look at some collabs, shall we?

The BTS Meal @ McDonald’s

This meal includes 10-piece chicken McNuggets, medium fries, a medium Coca-Cola, and the Cajun and Sweet Chilli dipping sauces.

I’ve tried this one. Not bad, especially since I’m a big fan of chicken nuggets from McDonald’s. The only thing that was different in this meal was the optional Cajun and Sweet Chilli sauces that are inspired by the South Korean McDonald’s and the packaging of the meal itself. 

The Saweetie Meal @ McDonald’s

This meal includes A Big Mac, four-piece chicken nuggets, medium fries, a medium Sprite, and the Tangy BBQ and Saweetie N’ Sour sauce.

I didn’t get to try this one, mainly because it was only available in the United States. But I wasn’t missing out on much anyway. If I’m not mistaken, the Tangy BBQ and Saweetie N’ Sour is basically the pre-existing BBQ and sweet n’ sour sauce, just renamed. However, I will admit, the packaging is pretty cute.

Megan Thee Stallion’s Meal @ Popeyes

This meal includes a spicy chicken popeyes sandwich with Megan Thee Stallion’s hot sauce.

This collab just came out, so it’s relatively new. I also don’t think it’s available anywhere else except the United States. So my fellow Canadians (including myself) are going to have to sit this one out. Though, I don’t see this meal being eye-catching. Especially, if the only different thing about it is the hot sauce.

Justin Bieber’s Timbiebs @ Tim Hortons

The new flavours launching in the Timbiebs collab are white chocolate fudge, sour cream chocolate chip, and birthday cake waffle.

If you don’t know what Timbits are, they’re basically little donut holes. This collab comes out on November 29th in Canada and select places in the United States, and not gonna lie, I’m kinda excited for it! Maybe it’s the Canadian in me showing, but I sure am a sucker for anything birthday cake flavoured.

Don’t get me wrong, I have tried some of these meals before, but it wasn’t anything exciting. Nothing really interesting to the point where I’ll miss it once it leaves the menu in about a month. I don’t know, maybe I don’t see the hype of them. Because at this point, it feels like EVERY celebrity is trying to do a collaboration now. Perhaps you could even call it… a new trend? I don’t know. Collaborations like these always seem so random to me because I never even thought of this idea being something popular.

Mehak Narula

Queen's U '22

Mehak Narula is a fourth-year student studying Linguistics and German Studies at Queen's University. In her free time, you can catch her watching anime, drawing, and buying (overpriced) coffee!