This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Although mental health is increasingly talked about in “developed” countries like Canada, it is rarely addressed in “developing” countries. Why should mental health be viewed as a privilege that should only be addressed only once other needs like education and physical health have been met? It’s time we start to conceptualize mental health as a basic human right.

Since I started university, I have developed two keen interests: mental health and social justice issues. When I moved from Mexico to Canada for my undergrad, there was one specific aspect of Canadian life that stood out to me and changed my everyday habits—the concept of mental health, something I had never heard before. I soon realized that mental health was integral to my ability to function every day and it was an intrinsic part of being human. As I was submerging myself in this world of mental health, I was also starting my undergrad studies in Global Development. I was learning about inequalities between Western developed countries and the “underdeveloped” countries of the world, such as Mexico. Development initiatives that address this issue of “underdevelopment” are widespread and mainstream. Even if you aren’t well acquainted with Global Development studies, I’m sure you can think of a development initiative you have encountered in the media such as sponsorship programs for starving children in Africa, or UN refugee aid programs. If not, a quick google search will show you countless initiatives addressing physical health, food insecurity, education, migration, economic empowerment, gender equality, child labour and more in “underdeveloped” countries. Having grown up in a country where mental health is rarely talked about I was eager to learn how mental health was being addressed in development programs. Unfortunately, in all my courses and google searches, mental health initiatives rarely come up. Although Canada has taken significant attempts at mainstreaming mental health issues and promoting mental health within its citizens, the importance of mental health seems to disappear when it’s outside national borders. 

men and mental health
Photo by Fernando @cferdo from Unsplash

In Canada and most Western developed countries, mental health is spoken about as essential for a person’s wellbeing and yet, Western development projects rarely address mental health and if they do, it is treated as a secondary priority to physical health. The lack of mental health initiatives for the “developing world” is very telling in how we actually think of mental health. It is not considered an essential need in the same way as physical health, hunger or sanitation. Mental health should be right up there with all these other issues as a core development goal of NGOs and governments. So, why is mental health only talked about in wealthy countries that have big cities and bright lights? Well, that’s because mental health is still being conceptualized as a privilege that should only be addressed in places where all other basic needs have been met.

In my opinion, this is a huge mistake. Hunger kills but so can mental illness. Income can lead to poverty, but so can undiagnosed and untreated mental illnesses. Education is important, but how are students supposed to focus on their education if they are not taking care of their mental wellbeing? I don’t know about you, but if I don’t prioritize my mental health, I can’t succeed in my studies, I don’t enjoy my social life and I forget to take care of myself physically. Our mental health needs to be addressed in order to thrive as individuals and as a society. If Canadians need to take care of our mental health in order to succeed, why should it be any different for people in “developing” countries? 

You may believe there is little you can do about mental health services outside your community but there is so much you can do! Voice your concerns, be inclusive when you advocate for mental health and talk about mental health as a right and not a privilege. We all deserve to have good mental health and in order for adequate mental health resources to be available in all countries, we have to start conceptualizing mental health as a basic need. Only then can mental health initiatives across transnational borders and help improve the wellbeing of people globally. 

Camila Mercado

Queen's U '22

Camila is a third year student in Global Development and Psychology at Queen's University. She enjoys figure skating, learning new languages and advocating for mental health on campus!
HC Queen's U contributor