This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Fall is undoubtedly the best season, especially for a Queen’s student. If you look past midterms and impeding exams, you’ll see the leaves changing colours. It becomes the perfect temperature, where you can still get away without a jacket and the ability to walk outside while still maintaining feeling in all of your fingers and toes. October is particularly great because of the homecoming and Halloween festivities. But, as we all know, those things didn’t exactly happen this year. Being in first year during a global pandemic is definitely not how it used to be; in 1986, life as a Queen’s first-year student looked much different in the fall.

I asked my mom, a class of 1990 Queen’s grad, what fall was like back in her first year. She recalled homecomings where everyone was led from main campus to West by the Queen’s marching band via a road that was blocked off just for them. Everyone attended the football game in the daytime with copious amounts of purple dye and the classic coveralls. At night, there were parties in the ghetto, or everyone went to Alfie’s on campus (now called The Underground). During my mom’s first year, The Tragically Hip had just released their first album and were still the resident band at Alfie’s, so she and her friends spent a lot of time there (as one would if you got to see The Tragically Hip every night on your own campus).

rock concert
Photo by Vishnu R Nair from Unsplash
The second biggest event of the fall season, Halloween, sounds like it happened the same way it would have happened this year if we weren’t all confined to our bubbles. My mom recalls Halloween being a big deal at Queen’s with everyone dressing up in group costumes (my mom remembers being a crayon with all of her friends) and fleeing to the ghetto at night to party. The spirit of Halloween was definitely present on campus this year, minus the large gatherings and socializing. Rather than taking to the streets, most students dressed up within their own homes, or for the sake of an Instagram post. I bet the types of costumes seen most often nowadays are also quite different than in my mom’s time; I saw no crayons this year but a lot of playboy bunnies and space cowgirls.

While I’m doing all of my courses from my dorm room this year, I can’t help but wonder what it would be like if I were actually attending real, live classes. My mom recalls her first-year classes as being big and the workload as harder than she expected. Now that, I can relate to. She has one vivid memory of having to go to the computer lab in the bottom of Jeffery Hall every time she wanted to work on an assignment for her computer science class because that was the only place to access computers on campus. Today, we all have at least one computer in our rooms considering we physically would not be able to do university in this pandemic without our technology. We’re all so used to sitting in our rooms, at the same desk, day in and day out staring at that technology, but my mom can remember mostly studying in Douglas Library or with her friends in their dorm rooms in addition to going to their classes. Doing work in the same space I sleep, eat and relax feels so normal now, it’s hard to picture what it’d be like to venture out to lectures, the library or other study spots. Living vicariously through my mom’s stories has gotten me excited for coming years post-pandemic life, but I’m still grateful to even be at school in this crazy time. And, I’m thankful that I don’t have to trek out to Jeffery Hall every time I need to do work on a computer!

laptop on glass coffee table
Photo by Hannah Busing from Unsplash
Although many Queen’s traditions are the same now as they were in the late 80’s, life looks especially different this year than it has ever before. Although we may have missed out on some exciting fall festivities this year, we did a great job of making the best of what we were given. And this way, the bar is set so low that every year from now on will seem like the time of our lives! Now that Halloween is over, we have Christmas to start looking forward to and the end of the fall term coming soon. Snow will start falling and exam stress will start weighing us down, but at least we’ll all be staying inside anyways because of COVID, so there’ll be ample time to study and stay out of the cold!

Alex Ugolini

Queen's U '24

Psychology major, actress, lover of the earth. Find me on Instagram @alexugolinii
HC Queen's U contributor