This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

To the loved ones I left behind:

Going to University has been a wild ride. From moving away from home, to learning how to adult in first year and becoming an independent woman in second year (I try!). I have learned hard lessons in the weirdest ways, gained and lost friends and realized new things about myself.

Some days when it really gets hard I start to think about going home, back to the security that I have always known. For me, unlike most people, home is not a physical house or city. I’ve moved to 6 countries and my parents not being from the same nationality as me, has made my life very mobile. My home is with my family, my crazy, loud and messy family. So they are the ones I left behind and the one’s I miss the most. I also have my friends from various countries who I miss greatly and I always try to remain connected to them.

I miss my parents more than I should probably admit. I’m usually in contact with my mother, for the most meaningful or mundane reasons. From pretty campus shots to pictures of my dinner, she always has a funny quip and way to just know how to solve all my problems. When everything seems to fall down, she is always there to try to make me understand, see reason and not run away to farm avocados (my back up plan). My dad also acts as a great news update system and someone who can give me awesome advice. He always allows my family to have him as the butt of our jokes. He always supports me even when he disagrees with me.

My sisters also crack me up and I miss their support. My middle sister and I may fight like cats and dogs but always like to joke with each other. Being close in age I’m really not used to being alone. My younger sister is the smartest and most caring person I know and I miss seeing her grow up.

My grandfather is someone who is very caring and always wants to help me. Everytime I call him, which is every week, he is excited and always wants to hear about what’s new. Over the summer he would wake up early to make sure I would be on time to my internship. He would move the earth to get me what I want and I love him for even wanting to try.

Lastly, I miss my dog. My baby girl who is spoiled rotten by everyone in the family. She knows when we need a good snuggle and always provides us with great entertainment. Sometimes I forget how smart she is, and how food motivated she can be. Just having her lay on my feet while I study made me feel better and I miss that.

So to everyone I have left behind, I miss you and I thank you for the support you give me. Remember to tell your family that you love them and stay connected to the people who you left behind. 

Love, 

Amanda Neves

Amanda Neves

Queen's U '22

Amanda Neves is a second year student at Queen's University hoping to major in History or Politics that loves absurd amounts of chicken nuggets, traveling and any fluffy animals. Originally from the U.S and Brazil, she grew up in five different countries and is trilingual. She hopes to go to law school or grad school (or both!) after her undergrad.
HC Queen's U contributor