Riley Keough in Daisy Jones and the Six
Riley Keough in Daisy Jones and the Six
Lacey Terrell/Prime Video
Wellness > Mental Health

How to Be Proud of Yourself: A Guide to Boosting Self-Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Feeling proud of yourself can be a lot easier said than done, but it makes all the difference in helping you achieve your goals and boost your confidence. Building a habit of self-praise and appreciation requires constant work, correcting your self-critical thoughts and replacing them with compassionate mindfulness. With time, practice, and positive reinforcement, anyone can learn to feel proud of themselves—including you! Here are some tips and strategies I have used to actively boost my self-confidence and feel proud of myself.

healing inner child?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Columbia Pictures / Sony Pictures

1. Celebrate your accomplishments

It can be hard to recognize and celebrate your accomplishments, especially if you have a history of perfectionism or being hard on yourself. Celebrating your accomplishments will create positive reinforcement and encourage you to keep going. It is important to keep track of even the little things you accomplish because things as simple as making your bed can be a big success. Remember that celebrating your accomplishments and feeling proud is not showy or bragging, you have the right to celebrate when good things happen for you!

2. Set goals for yourself

Setting interval goals can help you feel a sense of achievement as you work your way to bigger goals. Working on large tasks can feel daunting, so breaking down larger tasks into small manageable chunks can make you feel more confident in your abilities. This method will help you feel proud of your progress and simple wins which will help motivate you to keep going. Accomplishing a list of goals for yourself will also increase your confidence and trust in yourself that you can complete what needs to be done. As you accomplish each step of your goals, take time to celebrate your progress and feel proud of yourself!

3. Practice gratitude

Gratitude is important to increase your positive thoughts, focusing on the positive aspects of your life and the things you are proud of having accomplished. Every night, in the morning, or before bed reflect on what you are grateful for and add some traits you like about yourself! It will teach you to appreciate all aspects of life and to feel confident and proud of what you have. Incorporating gratitude into your daily routine will also help you recognize your accomplishments at the moment and appreciate the little things!

4. Embrace your mistakes

Instead of dwelling on your mistakes, use them as an opportunity to improve and build on your strengths. Life is a long process of figuring things out and, naturally, you won’t always get things right the first or second time. Recognize that your mistakes are a part of the learning and growth process, and closed opportunities often open new and better doors. Focus on the aspects of life that are in your control rather than stressing about things you cannot change, and just try your best. Even if your best does not always feel good enough, feel proud that you tried, because trying is all you can do!

5. Challenge the negative self-talk

Negative self-talk is a major barrier to pride and confidence, sabotaging any self-esteem you may have. Being self-critical creates a cycle of negative reinforcement and it does not benefit anyone. Challenge the negative self-talk and replace it with positive affirmations that boost your self-confidence, even if you do not believe the affirmations. Replacing thoughts that you are not good enough with reminders that you are capable of achieving anything allows you to feel as if you can do anything. After repeating positive affirmations over time you may start to believe them, so boost yourself as highly as you want!
Remember: having a delusional level of confidence doesn’t hurt anyone and it will do wonders for your happiness and state of mind!

6. Remember who you are talking about!

Every time you talk poorly about yourself or dimmish your accomplishments, remember that you are talking about younger versions of yourself too! Whenever you need more self-compassion, imagine what a younger version of yourself would say about your accomplishments and efforts. Be proud of the journey that the younger version of you has gone through to get to where you are. Your life trajectory and goals may have changed from what you imagined for yourself as a child, but they still live somewhere inside of you cheering you on. While the younger me might not be pleased that I have a few tattoos, she would be proud of everything else I have accomplished… and that helps me feel proud of myself.

Macayla Preeper

Queen's U '24

Queen's University | Fourth Year, Sociology Major Her Campus Co-Chair Executive