How to Get Over a Bad Weather Funk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

We all know that person who looks forward to colder temperatures, snow-lined streets and having the excuse to bundle up in big sweaters and furry boots. These people are bewilderingly cheery about the painful walks outside and serious lack of sunshine. I, however, have never been one for much positivity as winter rolls around. I’m that person that is still cold when the shower is on the highest level and the heater is blasting. So, when I start to see the sun go down earlier and earlier every day, I can’t help but feel disappointed and unenthusiastic about the somber months to come. When the darkness and abrasiveness of outside start to get me down, I tend to spend too much time inside and get in a weird funk. So, here are some things I have found that help myself and others that also experience this.

1. Find fun winter-themed activities around you

Something that’s really great about people in winter is that even though most don’t enjoy the colder temps, people make a great effort to still hold events or other activities to boost spirits. There are Christmas markets, ugly sweater parties, hot chocolate making events, make your own glass ornament venues, and many others. Kingston has a Holiday Hand Casting Event, gingerbread cookie making at the Kingston Cooking Club and the Springer Market Square ice skating, which are great ways to stay busy and find the good in the winter. Getting outside and doing something with friends is always a mood lifter, and embracing the winter early on is helpful.

2. Take up a new hobby

Try something that gets you out of your comfort zone in order to switch up your routine. I find that for myself I can spend a lot of time in my room watching Buzzfeed videos and feeling disappointed at the end because I haven’t done a lot with my day. Winter can easily do that to you. So, consider trying new activities like yoga, pottery, photography, or even origami. Anything that sparks a new interest will help you find different things to look forward to.

3. Look into ways to get involved at your school

I find that there tends to be a lot of really interesting conferences at Queen’s during the winter. Last year I participated in the Queen’s Canadian Leadership Conference and it was extremely engaging and the speakers taught me a lot. I highly recommend joining some of them because they’re a great way to meet new people, have something different to do on a weekend, and don’t hurt the resume.

4. Travel to a new place on the weekend

If you have some extra spending money and free time in your schedule, think about going to a different city! It’s always fun to be a tourist, even if you’ve been there before. It switches up your schedule nicely and gives you something to look forward to in your calendar. I went to New York City last year with a club from Queen’s and it was one of my most memorable weekends all semester. You could also go somewhere closer like Ottawa or Montreal which will have tons of fun winter entertainment.

5. Learn how to cook really well

There’s not much better than finally nailing a Buzzfeed Tasty recipe. So, since you will have lots of time indoors, attempt to branch out of your normal cooking patterns. Save all the recipes you’ve been dying to try and stock up on the ingredients. Cooking can be frustrating, but it can also be super rewarding. Plus, you’ll have something to show off to your family when you go home!

6. Go see a good movie with friends

My friends and I always go to the movie theater in the winter because something about it feels cozy and more enjoyable. It’s harder to go in the summer because you don’t want to miss out on the great weather. So, find a movie you’ve all been dying to see and indulge in a large popcorn with some candy thrown in there too.

7. Book a fun spring break

Another tip that costs money, but if you have it you should definitely use it on a spring break. This one week in the middle of the semester is the perfect time to get away and finally enjoy some warmth again. The moment you step off the plane and are able to wear flip-flops instead of snow boots is the reason it’s all worth it. Round up all your friends and look into some cheap places in Cuba or Mexico for a week. It’ll keep your spirits high weeks before and after the trip.

8. Work out. Seriously. 

I have to tell myself this constantly, and I still barely make myself go. But, working out is a foolproof way of getting yourself out of the house and increasing endorphins. You’ll have more free time that isn’t spent doing things outside, so use it towards something you’ll thank yourself for later. Also, if you go with friends it’s a great way to spend time with ones you don’t always see.

9. Read a book you’ve been wanting to all year

You might not be a reader, but it never hurts to try picking it up. Reading is such an easy way to entertain yourself and there are thousands and thousands of choices out there for you. When you get sick of doing those assignments for your major and can’t take anymore Netflix, this is a great break.

10.  Buy yourself some fuzzy socks

You know the ones I’m talking about. Go to a mall and treat yourself to as many as you feel you need for the following months because they truly are some of the best things a person can own.

Greer is a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Queen's U and a News x Social intern for Her Campus. She is a fourth year Political Science major with a Sociology minor. She is from the US of A but still has maple syrup running through her blood. Her most acknowledged skills include eating an entire jar of Nutella in one day and watching Buzzfeed videos for up to 8 hours straight.