This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Coronavirus, otherwise known as COVID-19, is undeniably causing a severe amount of anxiety and fear in the lives of everyone around the world.  For many of us, this is the first pandemic that we have lived through, and it has truly affected every part of our lives. I think what is causing the most anxiety is the speed that COVID-19 spread across the world and the state of emergencies being put in place by numerous countries.  It is easy to feel overwhelmed by the state of the world right now, especially if you don’t fully understand what’s happening, since it is a complex issue that blew up in North America over the past couple weeks. With that, I decided to comprise some tips on how to manage anxiety during this stressful time.

Don’t believe everything you hear

Like any other issue that happens in the world, people will share their opinion no matter how informed they are on the issue.  Even some disreputable sources are spreading news that is not accurate or not proven. With that, infectious disease specialists say that if you want to stay informed on the spread of COVID-19 or how it is affecting your country, go to reputable sites such as WHO and CDC. No one can predict how long this pandemic will last or what is going to happen in the future, so try to stay away from celebrities who speak out regarding the issue or news outlets that aren’t reputable. 

Get exercise 

Although gyms are closed and many of us don’t have access to an at-home gym, it is really important to maintain some form of exercise to keep your body healthy.  The World Health Organization is urging people to take care of themselves and their health even by going for a walk. Though it is important to social distance from others, going for a walk without coming into contact with others is good for not only your physical health but also your mental health.

Stay in touch with friends

Social distancing can make you go crazy, especially with the fact that nothing is open and there is nowhere to go, however it is important to maintain ties with your friends and family.  You can facetime your friends and family or use the app Houseparty if you want to talk to a large group of people at once!

Stay inside and wash your hands

Though this seems obvious, staying home and away from others is the best way to stop the spread of COVID-19 and to ease your mind knowing you’re doing your part in stopping the spread.  If you find yourself going a little stir crazy, try to find a hobby, maybe something you’ve always been meaning to do. If you do go out, to get groceries for example, the first thing you should do when walking into your house is wash your hands! Wash your hands for 20 seconds thoroughly before touching anything else.

Remember that death rates are low

Keeping yourself informed on the virus and its effects is important for easing anxiety.  The issue with COVID-19 is not that it is so severe that the death rate is high, but rather the rate at which it spreads.  Many young people who have COVID-19 don’t have any symptoms, however it is important to stay home and social distance yourself from those who are more vulnerable such as the elderly population.

Make sure to stay informed and maintain your physical and mental health while social distancing.  Stay Safe!

If you want to learn more about COVID-19, here is a reputable link: https://www.biotechniques.com/coronavirus-news/coronavirus-sorting-the-fact-from-the-fiction/

Karina is a third year student at Queen's University. She is doing her major in politics and minor in French with the goal of going to law school. She enjoys travelling and learning about new cultures along with gymnastics and writing.
HC Queen's U contributor