This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

There is no denying that 8:30 am classes suck. Even if you’re a self-professed early bird like me there is still something undeniably horrible about waking up to a blaring alarm. I think it’s the mixture of waking up knowing you have to go sit through a class you probably hate mixed with the fact that your housemates are still peacefully asleep. This being said, 8:30 am classes do have benefits. It can give you an earlier start to your day, giving you a larger time frame to complete readings and assignments, which can hopefully leave your evenings free for relaxation, friends, and extracurriculars. I’m not saying this list is going to convert you to an early bird lifestyle, or make you drop all your classes in favour for 8:30’s but I hope it makes them a little more bearable and less hectic.

1. Go to sleep early the night before

You have probably heard it before, and you’ll hear it again! This is not to say it should be lights out by 10 pm, but by this time you should start getting ready for bed and ideally be in bed by 11 pm trying to fall asleep. Obviously the earlier the better but I don’t know anyone who can automatically fall asleep at 9 pm, and if you can, props to you, stick with that.

2. Set your alarm as something peaceful or a favourite song

My alarm used to be the generic iPhone alarm, and whenever I heard that sound I immediately felt horrible. I would wake up to it and my first thought would be “this sucks”. It had been my alarm for so many years that I associated it with terrible early mornings and the interruption of my good friend: sleep. By setting it to your favourite song, or even to another generic alarm you can hopefully create better associations with the noise that interrupts your slumber.

3. Set your alarm for earlier than you’d think  

This is something that I have found hard to implement myself, but when I do I definitely reap the benefits. Normally if I have an 8:30 am I set my alarm for 7:30 am so I have 30 minutes to get ready, eat breakfast, and then leave at 8 am for my class. This time frame will differ according to how far or close you live to campus, but essentially the point is to not give yourself the bare minimum of time you would need to get ready and out the door. By giving yourself an extra half hour to chill, your mornings will become less rushed and by the time you leave your house you will be more awake, alert and prepared for your day!

4. Don’t hit snooze!

Do not do it! 10 extra minutes of sleep is not going to make your day better or make you feel more awake. Doing this is just denying the inevitable fact of having to get up. The best thing you can do for yourself is to immediately get out of your bed and start your morning routine. If you need a few minutes to adjust to waking up, check your phone but do not hit snooze!

5. Be prepared the night before

This includes putting the books you need into your bag, choosing your outfit, and meal prepping for the next day. This not only saves you time in the morning giving you more time to sleep or relax but also ensures that you do not forget anything important for your day ahead.

6. Drink a glass of water

As your body sleeps it becomes dehydrated, so make your first goal in the morning is to drink a tall glass of water and rehydrate! This not only wakes you up but aids in digestion and gives your brain fuel for the day.

7. Have an easy to prepare breakfast on hand

I know most college students forgo breakfast altogether, but if our parents have taught us anything it is that breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day. I understand the urge to skip it on early mornings but I recommend against it. You do not need to whip out a 4-course meal but something simple like a bagel with hummus or a handful of nuts will suffice and give you the energy you need to start your day. The upside of having a yummy breakfast plan is that it gives you something to look forward to on those early mornings.

8. If you can, go home after your 8:30 am and rest but do not sleep

The truth is no matter how much you prepare you will most likely be exhausted by the time your 8:30 am class ends. My recommendation is that if you have enough time before your next class to go home and relax for a little bit, eat something, watch an episode on Netflix, or do some readings. While it’s possible to do all of this somewhere on campus, I guarantee it will be infinitely cozier and relaxing from the comfort of your couch.  

Tessa Warburton

Queen's U '21

Tessa is a 2nd year English student at Queens U.