This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

If you’re someone who feels deeply, chances are you may feel plagued by moments of incredible highs and unbearable lows. Movies may often bring you to tears and you’re likely a very sympathetic, imaginative, and sensitive person; this is what psychologists call a “Deep Feeler” (https://psychcentral.com/blog/do-you-feel-emotions-deeply-these-tips-might-help/).

heart shaped neon sign
Photo by Designecologist

Deep Feelers may find it easy to become overwhelmed with all that life brings. Every situation comes with different emotions, and without a proper outlet, it can become easy to have an emotional pile up. That fight with your friend can make you feel intolerably upset and anxious. The deep talk you had with your parent may keep you up at night. Feeling deeply often comes with overthinking and rumination, which can distort your way of thinking and alter your outlook on life as a whole. If you can relate, it is important to find mechanisms that will help handle and control overwhelming emotions. 

One way that Deep Feelers can control the flow of emotions is through setting a time limit (https://psychcentral.com/blog/a-primer-for-deep-feelers-on-feeling-your-feelings-without-drowning-in-them/). Psychologists say that having a designated time to feel things, whether that be during a therapy session, journaling at home, etc., can help your compartmentalize your life by not allowing emotions to interfere when you don’t want them to. 

girl journaling
Photo by picjumbo_com from Pixabay

Though it can feel difficult to manage, feeling deeply is a good thing. Feeling hard and uncomfortable emotions also comes with feeling happiness, joy, and love just as strongly. The lows make you appreciate the highs, and you can recognize your ability to love yourself and others deeply. Accept your identity as a Deep Feeler and know that you have a capacity for great things!

Jordan Best

Queen's U '21

Jordan Best is a Psychology student at Queen's University. She loves travelling, meeting new people, and spending time with friends. She hopes to share her advice and experiences in life through her writing.
HC Queen's U contributor