This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

We all know that nothing beats relaxing on the couch with your significant other after a long and busy day. It’s important to feel comfortable with the person you are dating, but it’s also important to carve out time to get out of the house and have fun. Here is a list of unique dates for when dinner and a movie starts to feel “old hat.”

Art Class

If either you or your significant other has an artistic side, take them to a drawing or painting class. Most cities offer still-life painting classes, or pottery workshops to the public. Check out PaintLounge which has art classes in various cities like Toronto and Markham.

Bowling

You may have gone bowling for your 12th birthday party but it’s a whole different type of fun when you go with your partner. For some friendly competition to spice up your date night, try heading to the bowling alley.

Indulge at the Spa

For a more relaxing date, get pampered together. You can book a couple’s massage, a mani/pedi, or other treatments that will help you to relax together. It’s important to remember to care of yourself, so why not do it together?

Workout Class

For the fitness junkies, try taking a workout class with your significant other. This could be yoga, pilates, or a cardio class—whichever you prefer!

Sports Game

Heading to a sports game is always fun. It’s the perfect place to have get loud and rowdy whether you’re cheering on your team, yelling at the other team, laughing, or revealing your competitive side, you’re bound to have a good time. And it’s a great excuse to grab a beer and hotdog. Try a basketball, hockey game, or baseball game to get out of your old routine with your partner while showing your city some love.

Cooking at Home

For a cheaper option that still brings on the romance, plan a cooking date night together. Choose a meal both of you like and cook it together. Buy a bottle of wine and listen to some of your favourite music while you figure out the recipe. Nothing beats the comfort of your own home. If it goes well, make it a weekly plan. If it goes south, you can always order in.  

Escape Room

If you are curious to find out how your partner is in a crisis, bring them to an escape room. Not only is this a fun idea, but it will test your patience and communication as a couple. Try not to get too frustrated, it’s only pretend.

Road Trip

Sometimes it’s nice to take a long drive with your music blasting and an exciting destination in mind. You may have an end point planned or you may not, either way, long drives bring about some of the best conversation.

Arcade

Hitting up the arcade like the Rec Room or Dave and Buster’s can make you feel like a kid at heart. You can have some pizza, some fun, win prizes, and get competitive. Sounds like a perfect night to me.

Museum

Who said dating can’t be educational? Immerse yourself in history and culture. Whether you choose an art gallery or a war museum, wandering around those big rooms learning about the past can spark new conversations you never thought you’d have. If you both have an appreciation for the arts or a fascination with WWI, this is a good opportunity to bond.

Hopefully, these ideas have given you and your partner enough ideas to last at least a few months. Whether you both love going on dates every week or you save date nights for special occasions, you should try each of these at least once.

Jordan Best

Queen's U '21

Jordan Best is a Psychology student at Queen's University. She loves travelling, meeting new people, and spending time with friends. She hopes to share her advice and experiences in life through her writing.
HC Queen's U contributor