This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Not sure what to bring to the next party? Newbie in the clubbing scene?

Whether it’s going to a house party or clubbing downtown, navigating college parties can be overwhelming at first. Here’s everything you need to know about surviving (and actually enjoying) college parties. 

Bring 2+ IDs with you.

Even if you’re legal, always bring a few pieces of ID with you. You don’t want to be the girl who doesn’t get into the club because you don’t have a second piece. In Kingston, this is especially important. Kingston is known for being ridiculously strict when it comes to presenting authentic pieces of ID, probably because so many people try to get in using their fakes.  Last week, my friends and I, who are all legal, went to a club. My friends got in after showing only one piece of ID but the bouncer asked me for three pieces. THREE PIECES?! I honestly don’t know anyone who carries three pieces of ID when going out,  but luckily I had my health card, driver’s license, and student card with me. I laughed as I finally walked in with my friends, but this situation wouldn’t have been so funny if I wasn’t allowed into the club.

Pack a few pieces of gum.

Throw some gum into your pocket and you’ll be good to go. Chewing a piece of gum will help you feel revived after dancing and talking for hours, especially if you feel self-conscious about standing super close to other people. You want to feel comfortable belting out those tunes, so freshening up your breath periodically is the way to do it.

Go with friends you can trust.

The worst thing ever is going out with friends and feeling like you’re tagging along. To prevent yourself from being in this situation, make smart choices about who you go out with. Ask yourself whether these are trustworthy friends, people who will leave at the same time as you, and people who will make you feel included. If you feel like you’re in an unsafe situation at any point, being with quality friends will always make you feel better.

Finish your work before going out.

To ensure that you actually enjoy yourself when going out and avoid feeling stressed, think ahead. Make a list of your weekend tasks a day or two before going out so you can plan accordingly.  I mean, who wants to be thinking about their Calculus exam while mosh pitting to Drake? You’ll probably be tired the morning after going out and will want to sleep in, so try to get as much done before.

Lineup for the clubs before 11:30pm.

Even though no one wants to be the first person on the dance floor, it’s better than waiting in the freezing cold for two hours.  Line up for the clubs around 10:30 and you’ll be there on the earlier side. Even though this seems early, you’ll still have time to take pics and chat with friends before arriving. Last year my friends and I went to the club during the biggest snowstorm, and we were the first ones there. We had our own private dance party for 10 minutes until other people started showing up. This may seem like the ultimate nightmare to some people, but it was honestly a good time.

Don’t drink too much and be aware of your surroundings.

It’s natural to want to have fun, but keep in mind that you shouldn’t do anything that you’ll regret in the future. Partying too hard also affects your friends as they’ll feel the need to take care of you. Even if they’re trustworthy friends, they shouldn’t have to leave the club after five minutes because of your poor decisions.

Wear a jacket.

Sporting your jean jacket or light bomber is the right move. These types of jackets are perfect because they’re light enough that you can tie them around your waist and will keep you warm while standing in line. However, make sure to not bring your favourite jacket to a party. Last year, I wore a white jean jacket and someone spilled red wine all over it. Instead of enjoying myself at the party, I was anticipating the cleaning process and worrying about whether stain remover would help. So, make sure you wear a jacket that you’re comfortable with stashing in the corner and not thinking about it the entire time.

Throw on some comfy shoes.

If you’re planning on dancing at the club, wear shoes with tons of ankle support – we don’t want any rolled ankles here! Even if you’ve been dying to wear your new pair of heels, they’re so not worth the blisters. White Adidas, Nikes, and Filas have been hot this season, and will even give you an extra inch or two of height. Wear these kicks on nights out, and you’ll look cute while looking like you aren’t trying too hard. Also, if you’re going to a house party, DO NOT wear the same shoes as everyone else. I wore chestnut coloured UGGs to a house party once, and it was a huge mistake. I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out which shoes were mine at the end of the night.

Bring cash with you.

Bringing your debit or credit card is a good call when going out, but bringing cash is a must. It usually costs $5 or $10 to get into the clubs in Kingston, depending on the night. On special nights you might be let in at a discounted price, so make sure you do your research before. In big cities like Toronto, the entrance fee for some clubs can be $20 or more! Craziness.

Make sure your phone is charged.

Clubs are often packed on the weekends and it’s extremely easy to lose your friends in the sea of people. Make sure you have your phone handy so that you can send a quick text to your friends and meet up. Fun fact, sometimes phones randomly die when they’re in the cold for a while. There have been plenty of times when my phone has been at 70% and just shut down because of the temperature outside.  So, when waiting in line at the club, put your phone in your pocket so it will be ready to go for the rest of the night!

Do your research before going out!

Who wants to wander the streets looking for a party in the middle of the winter? Not me! Make sure you look up the different club options to see what types of music they play, or to see whether they are having theme nights. My friends once went to a Mamma Mia themed night at the club, where they played Mamma Mia the entire time. If that doesn’t sound like perfection, I don’t know what does. If you don’t like rap music and a club is known for playing rap music, it would be a good call to think of a different option. 

Go purse-free.

Holding a purse the entire night can be really annoying. When you’re dancing, you won’t want to hold a purse that keeps swinging back and forth, and won’t want to worry about items being stolen from the purse. Holding your phone or keeping it in your front jean pocket is a good move, and linking your keys to your belt loops is always the way to go. However, if you wish to carry a purse with you because you need specific personal items, fanny packs are super practical are just the right size for the essentials. They’ll also make you look like a fashion queen!

Gotta go check that I have my 11 pieces of ID now. See you at the clubs! 

XO.

Julia

Julia Sable

Queen's U '21

Julia Sable is a fifth year student at Queen's University. She is passionate about writing and hopes to pursue a career in fashion.
HC Queen's U contributor