Campus Celebrity: Rose Ly for the Isabel Bader Center!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

“Trust your decisions and commit to them. Never regret, because at some point in your life, that’s what you wanted.” – Rosemary Ly

Name: Rosemary Ly  (or Rose)

Position: Student

Year: 4th year

Program: Drama

This week, we had the opportunity to interview Rosemary Ly who helped with the Isabel Bader Centre for the Performing Arts over the summer. She is a fourth year undergraduate student who currently studies in Drama (she switched out of Commerce) and participates in many extra-curricular activities. As you may have read in a previous post, the Isabel opened on September 20th, 2014 and acts as a building for Queen’s students to attend class. You can read more about the Isabel in this post. Let’s get to know a little bit more about Rose and what she envisions for the Isabel!

Rose heard about the opportunity to work at the Isabel from applying through the SWEP program on Queen’s career services. At first, she wasn’t sure what this position entitled, but as she worked along and learned more, her love and passion grew for the Isabel. She got to work closely with the vice provost office and Jerry, the director at the Isabel. Her position was an outreach coordinator and she was responsible for promotional events, the tour program, the student opening, and so on.

When asked what the best part was about working at the Isabel, she listed learning about the performing arts industry, corporate life, and internal administration of Queen’s University. It felt like she was behind the scenes, working closely to create the university as it is. She mentioned that up until this point, she (and everyone else) knew Queen’s as a university, so it was cool to see it in a staff point of view and working alongside with many other faculties.

We asked Rose to describe the Isabel in one sentence to someone who has never heard of it before. She pictured it as a “world class performing arts facility that gives students an opportunity to expand their horizon.” We also asked her what she envisions for the Isabel and she says that she hopes it will be a building where students can claim as their own and looked forward to live in. Rose also said, “I feel like it is just a space where people use for classroom, but not a place used for learning. I am really looking forward to a time where students can claim that space as their own.”

Aside from the Isabel project, Rose took part in many other extra-curricular activities on campus. Here are some examples that she provided for us:

·      She participated in a production called “Down There”. It is essentially Queen’s version of using different monologues in a feminist point of view.

·      In 2012, she was involved in Existere 18 and is currently involved in Excetera. Existere is the production that is put on during orientation week by a group of students every year to help first year students ease their transition into university. Excetera is a production held in the winter semester with more helpful tips and the return of the amazing cast members from Existere! Essentially, it is Existere’s sister play!

·      She participated in a small production last year called “Don’t Dress for Dinner”. This was Rose’s first non-social issue play, where it was essentially a play just for a play. She mentioned that it was really fun and she made really good friends from it. It kind of sparked her interest for Queen’s Drama Department.

·      She is currently the 2015 Year Society Vice President for ASUS. She helps organize events for the class of 2015 and fundraises for the class of 2015 gift.

·      She has been a campus tour guide since 2013.

·      She was previously a don (2013-2014).

·      Last year, she was on Accessibility Queen’s, whose goal is to make campus more accessible.

Time for some FUN with Rose:

Q: What is your favourite thing to do in your spare time?

A: Cooking or going on Tumblr and looking at picture of cats

Q: What is the best thing you have ever cooked or is most proud of?

A: I am really proud of the one time I made lasagna and it was one of the first things I made from scratch. I essentially made the pasta, sauce, and assembled it. I also really like cheese and soup separately, but cannot have them as a combination (i.e. Cheese Soup).

Q: Oreo filling or Oreo cracks?

A: Neither or both but only if it is dipped in milk.

Q: Peanut Butter or Nutella?

A: Nutella

Q: Macbook or PC?

A: PC

Q: What is your favourite thing about Queen’s University?

A: Officially, the school spirit! Unofficially… Cogro’s top secret bagel! –giggles

Q: What is one fashion style that you cannot live without?

A: My go to hairstyle is a hair bun. I am also a big fan of oversized cardigans.

Q: What is your secret talent?

A:5 minutes pause and silence– I can solve a Rubik’s cube in under a minute.

Q: What is the ideal role you wish you can play in a production? It can be from anything:

A: I would love to play Summer from 500 Days of Summer. [Basically] any embodiment of Zooey Deschanel would be ideal.

Q: What is your favourite TV show?

A: I am currently obsessed with Modern Family, Park and Recreation, New Girl, and The Big Bang Theory!

Q: What is your guilty pleasure?

A: Nick Jonas –giggles

Q: What do you want to be when you grow up?

A: Happy! –smiles