Queen’s University Welcomes the Isabel Bader Centre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Queen’s University has one of the most beautiful campuses in all of Canada, and now that campus has been expanded to include the new Isabel Bader Centre for the Performing Arts. The Isabel (as it is already known as) first opened on September 20th, 2014 and is already hosting classes for Queen’s students.

The Isabel was $63 million project ten years in the making but it was well worth it. It is a home to a variety of artistic endeavors and hosts a climate-controlled art gallery, rehearsal spaces and screening rooms. As well, the 566-seat performance hall is to be enjoyed by all of Kingston, not just Queen’s students.

Though everyone is excited by this new facility, none is more so than Isabel Bader herself. Isabel Bader and her husband Alfred are both Queen’s alumni and donated $31 million dollars to The Isabel. As well, the Isabel is welcoming a new director in its inaugural season. Tricia Baldwin will be joining the Isabel on December 8th, 2014 from Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra and Chamber Choir in Toronto after having served as the director for fourteen years. 

The Isabel has many exciting shows lined up this fall including The Wooden Sky on October 9th, the New Orford String Quartet on November 4th, and Basia Bulat on November 12th. The Isabel is a space for students and citizens of Kingston alike to experience great art, though students and staff of Queen’s get a discounted price on tickets.

The Isabel Bader Centre for the Performing Arts is an amazing new addition to Queen’s University and you should go check it out for yourself at 390 King Street West.

For more information, please go to The Isabel’s website: http://www.theisabel.ca

Jessica Winter is an English student at Queen's University. Though originally from Toronto, she loves the history of Kingston. In her spare time, she likes to read, write and hang out with friends. She is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and wants to continue in the field of publishing in the future.