Campus Celebrity: Carling Counter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Meet one of your new ASUS Representative to the AMS, Carling Counter. She won her January 28th ballot and today sat down with HerCampus (amidst a noisy JDUC due to renovation) to discuss the campaign, her time at Queens and what she hopes to bring to both ASUS and the AMS when her position starts September 2016

What prompted your decision to run in the ASUS Election?

A: Personally, it was a matter of trying to make ASUS less of an insiders club. I see a lot of people in ASUS who are in my politics classes the majority of positions seem to be held mainly by people in the politics, economic and DEVS programs.  It seems strange that these streams are in charge of the entire student government which is a $16 million organization. Even though I am a politics student, I saw an opportunity to bridge the gap between the politics students that were running while at the same time reaching out to other people in different facilities and also to people who wouldn’t think they are important enough to get involved in the elections.

You ran on a very diverse platform. What are three platform points that you are going to focus on in the beginning of your term?

A:  For sure, my main stance is that I would like to make ASUS more inclusive. I see an opportunity to do this in two ways. I would like to see the campus do more anti-racist and anti-sexist work by helping groups that are traditionally marginalized make the most of their university experience. We do have a cross-cultural counsellor which is a step in the right direction. However, I would like to further that with the establishment of an ASUS panel and/or an AMS panel to discuss race-related issues. This process of recommendations would run similar to the process that took place with the sexual assault policy where they [the AMS] offered students a voice with their input. That is one way we can work to make it more inclusive and diverse for different backgrounds. Diversity and inclusion also comes in term with other faculty’s involvement with AMS. As we are a student union, we are designed to advocate for students. A lot of people don’t feel that the AMS and ASUS are advocating for them but rather instead those in their own circle. I would like to do small things such as encouraging people to come out to the AGM [general meetings for ASUS and AMS] to really promote the jobs that are coming out on February 4th [commissioner job openings]. It’s important to let people know that the AMS isn’t only for politics students, that there is opportunity and representation for everybody, no experience required. I personally have never run for anything before and you guys elected me.

What do you hope to achieve for ASUS and the AMS?

A: Making it as accessible and inclusive for everybody is really what I’m here for. The term “Washington Insider” is exactly what I do not want to be. I want people to be able to talk to me and not think, ‘oh they are only working for themselves and the people that they know’. I want to advocate for everybody, not just myself.

When do you start your position?

A: In September. I am going to talk to the current ASUS rep, Lucas Cohen, to learn from him and see exactly how things work. I have a night class on Thursday during general assembly but I will be attending them next year.

Do you have an office where people can reach you?

A: I am not sure at the moment about the office, but I will be keeping my Facebook page “Vote Carling Counter for ASUS Representative to the AMS” and turning it from a campaign page to more of a message place so people can reach out to me. I will also be keeping my personal Facebook page open, where people can say, “Hey, this is a problem I’m having with the AMS or ASUS” and I can respond to them. I’ve already had a few people ask me questions and I will have a better grasp of that in September.

What kind of approach will you be bringing to your position?

A: I am going to do my best to work with everybody. I don’t see any reason to try and do it by myself, especially when I am surrounded by all of these incredibly talented people who have been in this before or have different viewpoints than I do. I’d like to work with the incoming ASUS rep, Ben Evans, who was elected alongside me as well as the new ASUS execs Brian Mackay and Darren Baga.

You actually have previous experience in this before being the leader of the Queen’s NDP.

Oh, I guess that’s true.  

Would you like to give us some background on how you got involved with that organization? Being the female leader of the Queen’s NDP is quite a heavy position, will you be continuing on with that next year?

A: Yeah, it is a lot of work and I will be continuing on with it if I am re-elected. I have e-mailed around and made sure it is not a conflict of interest with any of the groups. I will have to abstain from [AMS and ASUS] voting if there is anything that involved the Queen’s NDP, but Queen’s NDP does not receive funding from the AMS so it is very unlikely that the two will conflict. But yeah, the position is fantastic. I am doing so many things I never thought I would be able to do. During the federal election season this year, I was the liaison between the riding association and the people at Queens. Being able to work with both of those groups was really interesting and quite similar to what I will be doing with the AMS.

What is the scope of your work for the Queen’s NDP?

A: We organize community events and do community outreach; such as the Four Direction Centre, I was there two weeks ago to volunteer at a feast night. Queen’s NDP does things other than just hangout and talk about socialism, but that’s the fun part of it. We throw mixers to try to bring people together who are of a like mind and to see if we can get progressive students out and talking about things. We all show up at a bar and start talking about socialism, so it’s a good time.

As ASUS rep will you be continuing those relationships with the departments and the students, or with clubs on campus?

A: I would love to work with everyone. I’m not sure how much clubs are able to advocate for themselves but I would like to be able to do that for them. But I am there for Arts and Science students predominantly; that is my responsibility. If there is something I can do to help a club get what they need without being biased that would be great. But I’m not sure if that is within my jurisdiction. I will be brushing up on the rule book. But I will be continuing those under the Queens’ NDP.

Moving on to some personal questions I was able to ask Carling about what has fired her passion for Queens.  

What has been your favourite memory from Queens so far?

A: Oh gosh…I have so many and am so sentimental about this university. My favourite memory associated with Queen’s, if I may branch the question, was last year when my sister applied to Queen’s University. It had been a time of me trying and pushing her to apply and become part of this incredible community. It was Christmas day and I had given her a Queen’s sweater under the guidelines that she could only keep it if she came to Queen’s. Later that evening, she got her acceptance letter. It was honestly some tricolour magic, it was beautiful and we all cried.

How are you finding having your sister on campus with you?

A:  It’s phenomenal. We are very close so it is nice to be able to get lunch with her every week just to check in on her. Ask her, “How’s your floor, how’s residence, finding a house,” all the challenges of transitioning to Queen’s life.  Being able to have that support from my family back home suddenly here with me and share this experience with my sister. I am very lucky.

You two did Queen’s Model UN together, where you won an award, congratulations. How was winning an award with your sister by your side?

A: Thank you. Yes, I was awarded the best delegate for my committee which was the North American Treaty Organization so that was very exciting.

What is the best advice you’ve ever been given or have given to someone?

A: I love giving advice. It’s my favourite thing. There is one that really speaks out to me; everything you want is on the other side of fear. It is really good. This advice actually factored into my campaign for ASUS. I was really questioning whether I should run. I didn’t know if I could handle the responsibility and campaigning was going to be a lot of work. This quote is actually my background screen on my computer. Every time it comes up all I think is, “oh, Jack London, you’re right” and it prompts me to do what I am on the fence about. It has gotten me off my butt more than anything else.

You must be kept very busy with all these responsibilities, but what do you like to do in your downtime?

A:  Since I’m a drama minor, not sure if it’s considered downtime, but I go to see a lot of shows. Seeing what my friends are participating in as well as seeing some community show is just fantastic. A lot of times I am mandated to see a show because of a class. It’s nice to be able to go see something I don’t have to write a report on later and can simply enjoy it for its art. I usually go with my partner and grab a coffee afterwards. We pick the play apart to the point that we will still be talking about it an hour later. In my downtime, I like to think academically about theatre pretty much.

Where are you most likely to be found on campus?

A: I would say, a solid bet is the first floor of Stauffer. The right amount of noise but you still have everyone around you working so motivates you to work as well. Either that or a very specific spot of the second table behind the staircase. It’s the right place, it’s a good place.

Finally, what is your favourite gif or meme?

A: Doge is very applicable to every situation. So Queen’s, very tricolour.

Thank you for sitting down with me today.

Oh for sure. This was lovely. Cha-Gheill! 

Overall Carling is a charismatic and a competent candidate who is now an elected official of Queen’s student government. She brings fresh ideas to ASUS and the AMS with her focus on inclusivity, accountability and diversity. Her anti-sexist and anti-racist emphasis brings an intersectional approach to an often white male dominated elected committee. The dive-right-in attitude and cake-for-all mentality brings hope that the voices of disenfranchised students can be brought to the forefront.  She has the experience of being the leader of the Queen’s NDP behind her which she can bring that to ASUS and the AMS for the 2016-2017 academic year.

To reach out to Carling with any questions, concerns or simply for a chat follow the link below to be connected to her campaign page.

https://www.facebook.com/carlingcounter4asusrep/?fref=ts

Lindsay is a third year Politics and Gender Studies major at Queen's University.As a self-declared feminist, her interests are in gender diversity, intersectionality and equality for all. Dreams: to conquer the world and empower women to smash the glass ceiling