bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Anxiety, Insomnia and Cups of Coffee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

It’s time we stop normalizing potentially unhealthy habits and begin taking better care of ourselves.

As we settle into the new semester with #BellLetsTalk day around the corner, there are a few things I wanted to talk about. School is tough, whether you’re in high school, college, or university; and balancing things can be a challenge. I’m sure we’ve all struggled at some point or another and adopted a few temporary, unhealthy study habits along the way. One thing that I have noticed in my time at university is that some potentially unhealthy habits have a habit of being ‘bragged’ about, which isn’t necessarily the best thing.

Being Stressed All the Time

As students, we know that school (and life in general) can get very stressful, but there’s a difference between getting stressed out and being stressed all the time. It’s very normal to feel stressed, especially with exams, term paper deadlines approaching and balancing school with work and/or extracurriculars. However, it isn’t normal if you live in a constant state of stress, and even more so, if this stress is starting to affect other aspects of your life. Except, all students are stressed, aren’t they? Yes – to a certain point, but if you’re having trouble sleeping, studying or focusing because of all your stress, then it might not be just stress. A little bit of stress or pressure can be helpful with motivating us, but make sure it isn’t sabotaging you in the process.

Not Sleeping or Being Sleep Deprived

As someone who has struggled with anxiety-induced insomnia, this is my biggest pet peeve. We all have late nights here and there, and even the occasional all-nighter, but being sleep deprived isn’t something that should be normalized. A good night’s sleep isn’t only good for your body, it’s also very beneficial for your mental health. Your performance, both physical and mental, deteriorates with exhaustion (unsurprisingly). As a student, I often overhear others talk about how little sleep they get, or how sleep deprived they are. When I first started having issues with sleep, I didn’t realize that things might be more serious than I thought. I had overheard so many other people talk about being constantly tired or sleep deprived that I thought it was just a normal thing for a student to go through. But, this isn’t normal and we need to stop acting like it is. As students, we may have periods of time where we get less sleep, especially during midterm or exam season; but if you’re finding that this is a regularly occurring thing for you, it may be time to reach out for help.

Being Constantly Over-Caffeinated

Now I love coffee as much as the next girl, and I’m in full support of having as much or as little as you feel like, if you’re not constantly relying on it. Personally, I’m not the kind of person who starts every morning off with a cup of coffee, but I fully support everyone who does. For me, coffee is a comforting drink during times of stress, or really whenever I feel like having it. This wasn’t always the case for me. During my period of sleep deprivation, I couldn’t make it through the day without constantly drinking coffee. Although this was a side effect of being tired all the time, it didn’t feel like an issue because aren’t all students constantly drinking coffee to get them through the day? The answer is no. You shouldn’t feel like you can’t function without a constant flow of caffeine. As for those of us who are avid coffee drinkers, keep an eye on your coffee consumption. Caffeine not only dehydrates your body, but it acts as a stimulant so it can heighten feelings of stress and anxiety. So, stay hydrated and sip your coffee with love!

Jae Makitalo

Queen's U '21

Queen's Computing
HC Queen's U contributor