books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

5 Places to Study During Exam Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Dear Queen’s University,

How am I supposed to trust anything when the Stauffer capacity tracker says 50% but the only available seat is a toilet? You know I can’t make cue cards on a toilet.

Cheers,

Grace

I know I’m not the only one struggling with finding a study spot during ‘zam szn. Luckily I have found some lesser-known study spaces that usually have some vacancy.

1. Bracken Health Sciences Library

This library is located in Botterell Hall and usually has some empty seats; make sure to check out the basement. Most students shiver at the thought of walking the extra 500 meters past Stauff to get there, but it’s worth it.

2. Trusty Study Room in BioSci​

I don’t know the real name of this room, but that’s okay. It’s located at the top of the main stairs of BioSci and has never failed me. Trusty Study Room I love you!

3. Starbucks in Mitchell Hall

What is Mitchell Hall? Well, little grasshopper, It’s the brand new building beside the JDUC, and yes there is a Starbucks! Construction is still underway so expect some beeping noises but if you study while listening to music it shouldn’t bother you.

4. Empty Classrooms

Classrooms are free to use during exam season on a first-come-first-serve basis. You can even use the chalkboard, how fun! Try to avoid Kingston Hall, Dunning Hall, and Jeffrey Hall since the rooms will often be used for exams. I recommend BioSci, the Kin building, and Ellis Hall.

5. Mac-Corry  (Mackintosh-Corry Hall)

It usually fills up by 11/11: 30 am, but your chances of finding a seat in Mac-Corry are much higher than finding a seat in Stauff. Added bonus: the smell of burgers and pizza that wafts through the whole main floor at noon will remind you not to skip lunch. Not that I personally need reminding.

Grace MacLeod

Queen's U '20

I'm a fourth year Political Studies major at Queen's University who loves writing, cooking, travelling and sarcasm.