Wellness

5 Books to Read about Magic and Spirituality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Disclaimer: I am not, by any means, an expert on these subjects, nor do I claim these books are for everyone; I am simply sharing books which I found interesting and informative in the beginning of my journey.

Over the past year, I have become interested in the practice of magic and all things spiritual. Although, as such a broad topic, I struggled with figuring out where to start. Should I buy crystals? But what do I do with them? How do I practice magic, and what type do I practice? These were all questions I was asking myself, but after much research I’ve finally gotten to a place in which I’m comfortable. One thing that saved my life were books, so I’ve compiled a list of five of my favourites––for beginners, or not––that helped me learn the history behind certain practices as well as how to incorporate magic and spirituality into my life.

dark hair, reading, coffee, girl
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez from Unsplash

1. The Witch’s Book of Self-Care: Magical Ways to Pamper, Soothe, and Care for Your Body and Spirit by Arin Murphy-Hiscock

This book is perfect for anyone who is interested in learning how to incorporate magical and spiritual routines into their everyday self-care. Arin Murphy-Hiscock, author and third-degree Wiccan High Priestess in the Black Forest Clan, covers multiple ways to care for your soul throughout 5 different chapters: self-care and magic, mental and emotional self-care, as well as physical, spiritual and household self-care. She touches on journaling rituals, meditation, candle and crystal magic, spells to battle stress and much more. I loved this book because it was a great way to learn how to begin incorporating these practices into my daily life and learning how to use magic and energy to better my body and spirit.

crystals and herbs on a wooden plate
Photo by Joanna Kosinska from Unsplash

2. The Good Witch’s Guide: A Modern Day Wiccapedia of Magickal Ingredients and Spells by Shawn Robbins and Charity Bedell

Shawn Robbins, author and professor at the New York School of Occult Arts, joins Charity Bedell, a practicing witch of over fifteen years, to create this know-it-all guide to important magical ingredients. Right off the bat, this book begins with an important section about the history of magickal herbs and spices before delving into how to use them––there is also a “Spellcasting 101” segment along with cautions to using specific spells. There are chapters on aromatherapy, spiritual alchemy and holistic enlightenment; spells for love, abundance, and cleansing; even recipes, and how to integrate magic into the food you consume. This is one of the most informative books I’ve read, without being lengthy or tedious. With straightforward subheadings to easily find exactly what you’re looking for, this book really is the perfect go-to guide for magical ingredients and spells.

Woman dressed as witch holding a cup
Phoot by freestocks.org from Pexels

3. Angelic Lightwork: Magic and Manifestation with the Angels by Alana Fairchild

This book takes a different approach than the ones mentioned so far, focusing on the practice of interacting with the angels. Fairchild provides information about the different types of angels and how to begin the practice of angelic lightwork, with a goal of learning healing and guidance through the angels. There are sections about healing from loss and addiction, breaking free of negative energy and habits, and even healing physical and emotional ailments. This book is a great introductory guide into the world of the angels and how to attract and work with angelic magic to better your body and spirit.

Galaxy of Stars behind mountains
Photo by Denis Degioanni from Unsplash

4. Mama Moon’s Book of Magic: A Life-Changing Guide to Star Signs, Spells, Crystals, Manifestations and Living a Magical Existence by Semra Haksever

This is one of the most comprehensive books on magic I’ve ever read, and is structured beautifully with clearly defined sections and illustrations. Haksever touches on topics such as the basic tools needed to begin your practice, how to build an altar, and learning about the body’s chakras (including what blocks them and how to open them!). Within this handbook are spells for every aspect of your life, as well as seasonal spells to use during equinoxes and solstices. And, for any astrology lovers, there are chapters on star signs and birth charts as well as “moonology” (working with and deciphering the moon). Including much, much more, I would recommend this book for any beginner looking for the perfect place to start.

hands holding a plant
Photo by Noah Buscher from Unsplash

5. The Green Witch: Your Complete Guide to the Natural Magic of Herbs, Flowers, Essential Oils and More by Arin Murphy-Hiscock

For my final recommendation I have another book by Arin Murphy-Hiscock. This was actually the first book I’ve read on magic and witchcraft, and it’s a perfect staple for anyone interested in green magic (essentially: nature magic). Less of a general handbook to all things magic, in this book you will learn multiple ways to connect with the Earth and discover magic and healing through the use of plants, flowers, herbs and more. There are recipes for potions and suggestions for rituals, as well as how to attune to and connect yourself with nature. If you’re interested in learning about and practicing green magic, this is the book for you.

I hope my introduction to these books has excited your spirit and enthusiasm to learn, as well as lifting a little bit of that overwhelmed weight off your shoulders. Getting started with magic and spirituality isn’t as hard as it seems, you just have to know where to start; so, get reading and get practicing!

Aynsley Rae

Queen's U '22

Aynsley is a third year English major at Queen's University.
HC Queen's U contributor