This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Can’t sleep? Have you ever felt like it takes you longer than the average person to fall asleep? Well, these tips can help you develop a healthy sleep routine that will have you falling asleep faster and feeling more well-rested the next day. Over time, your sleep cycle can adjust itself and remain consistent.

1. Turn off all electronics and dim the lights

An hour or so before bed, try to avoid using your laptop, T.V. or phone. The exposure to screen lights often makes it harder for us to fall asleep, so it’s best to avoid using them before bed. Additionally, try dimming the lights in the evening so that your body can naturally prepare for sleep.

2. Avoid caffeine later in the day

It’s best to avoid caffeinated or sugary foods in the evening, as the effects can take some time to wear off and can keep you awake longer than you want to. Also, be sure to eat healthy foods throughout the day, as your diet can affect your sleep as well.

3. Get comfortable

Try to get as comfortable as possible. The best posture to fall asleep in is on your side, as it promotes a higher quality of sleep than other positions such as on your back or front. Make sure you’re nice and cozy with a soft pillow and a warm blanket! Additionally, it’s been reported that sleeping in rooms with lower temperatures can help you fall asleep faster, so turn down that thermostat before bed!

4. Exercise

It’s important to exercise for many reasons, one being that it helps us to fall asleep. Try to hit the gym at least a couple times a week, as exercising regularly can help you develop a healthy sleep schedule.

These next few tips come in handy when you’ve tried everything else but simply can’t fall asleep:

1. Listen to music or peaceful sounds

Listening to your favourite songs, preferably ones that are on the slower side, can help you relax and eventually fall asleep. Another great way to fall asleep is by listening to calming sounds such as those provided on Rainymood, an app that plays rain sound effects. Even listening to white noise can also be relaxing.

2. Read

Reading naturally makes you feel sleepier, so getting comfortable in bed and grabbing any book you want to read is a great way to fall asleep, since not only are you doing something fun, but you’re also preparing yourself for bed.

3. Avoid looking at the clock

The more you look at the time waiting to fall asleep, the harder it may get, since it can create sleep anxiety and can make you feel tense.

4. Try aromatherapy

Another way to fall asleep faster is through aromatherapy. You can get some calming scents such as lavender and use them in your room. This can help you relax and fall asleep; plus, it smells amazing!

5. Use the “4-7-8” method

This is a method that works not just for falling asleep, but generally helping with nervousness or anxiety. It’s a breathing technique that helps you relax.

The first step is to exhale through your mouth and to make a “whoosh” sound.

Next, with your mouth closed, inhale through your nose while counting to four in your head.

Now, hold our breath and count to seven.

Lastly, exhale through your mouth while counting to eight mentally.

Repeat this about three more times, or as long as necessary.

6. Try a massage

There is a method for falling asleep that you can do by simply massaging certain points on your body. Try rubbing the insides of your wrists or the back of your neck in circular motions. This can help you ease any muscular tension in your body, helping you to relax and to eventuall fall asleep.

7. Take a late shower

There’s nothing better than taking a shower after a long, hard day, so showering at night and immediately going to bed can definitely help you relax and fall asleep more easily.

8. Try sleep supplements or see a doctor

Natural supplements such as melatonin can help you fall asleep by guiding your natural sleep clock. If your trouble with sleep still continues, it’s always best to see a professional! They can help find a way to help you develop a healthy sleep routine.

Sweet dreams!

hamdah shabbir

Queen's U '20

Hamdah is a fourth year English student at Queen's University. She loves painting, music, photography, and of course, writing. She hopes to publish her own novels someday in the future.