10 Questions about Attending University Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Q: When did you decide that you wanted to go to school in a different country?

When I was in grade 12, I applied to six universities in Ontario and three universities in the United Kingdom. I did not think I would be accepted into university in the UK, so never truly considered the opportunity. It was only after I got accepted that I really started to picture myself going to a school outside the country. I ended up choosing to attend the University of Edinburgh.

Q: What degree/program were you in?

I was in Architecture.

Q: How did you go about applying to a school outside of the country?

I applied through UCAS with the help of my academic advisor from my high school.

Q: What was the best part of living in a different country?

My favourite thing was meeting people from all over the world. It really opened my eyes up to the world outside my hometown since my school was a small community and I had never been overseas before.

Q: What was the most exciting thing you did when you lived abroad?

I traveled around Europe. I traveled to Belgium, Amsterdam and Rome with my friends.

Q: What was the worst thing about living in another country?

Being far away from home was difficult, as well as being away from my support system. However, the experience made me stronger and more sure of myself.

Q: What was one challenge that you faced while living abroad?

I was studying in a really demanding program and being so far from home made it even more difficult.

Q: If you could go back and tell yourself one thing about going abroad, what would it be?

Consider how long you’re going to be away from home, because it is harder on some than others. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes and don’t be too hard on yourself if things don’t work out your way.

Q: Describe your experience using three words or phrases.

Eye-opening. Growth. Once in a lifetime.

Q: What advice would you give someone who is thinking about going on exchange or to University in another country?

Really consider your options. Do it for you and no one else; even if people are trying to convince you to not go/go, just stay true to what you want. Do your research beforehand on everything that is going to come with being an international student, e.g.: currency, travel expenses, student visas, etc.

Hi there! My name is Hayley and I'm a fourth year English/Environmntal Studies student at Queens University! I love writing and voicing my opinions on various topics from self esteem to my vegetarian diet. I love animals and long deep convo's with my friends. I'm looking forward to writing many articles for Her Campus and I hope you enjoy!