This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

I love being with my friends. My favorite part of every day is when I get to study or go to the dining hall with them. If I didn’t have them, college would be very boring and I would have a hard time being by myself all the time. As much as I love doing homework with them, I realize that I don’t get as much done as I think. Because of this, I fall behind in getting my work done and other things fall to the back of my mind, like cleaning my room. I let myself get too distracted by who I’m surrounded by that I forget to take time to make sure my own life is organized. I’ve recently been taking more time to myself and I have already learned so much. Here are some reasons why you should make more time for you.1. Being alone allows you to unwind.

Solitude is a beautiful thing. Being constantly surrounded by other people, noise, technology, etc. is not good for your mental health. You need a break from the hustle and bustle of daily life in order to let your brain “shut off” and reassess what you did today. This is the time to revitalize your mind and body.

2. Solitude allows you to think deeply.

Your life can become a whirlwind very quickly. Any to-do list can become cluttered and confusing to follow. Being alone allows you to think about what exactly you have completed thus far. Then you can determine what your next steps will be.

3. Being alone can improve relationships.

Spending time with only your mind can teach you a lot about yourself and what you like. You’ll have a better understanding of who you are. This can help you make better choices concerning who you’re friends with and if they are good for you. You’ll also learn to appreciate your relationships more because of that little bit of solitude you achieve.

You can accomplish this task by removing yourself from situations in which you could be relaxing. Unplug from technology, especially social media, at least an hour before bedtime and try not to go on your phone as much during the day. It brings a lot more peace than we realize. Also go to bed earlier than other people. You might think you’ll miss out on something fun but you won’t. Sleep is more important anyway. You’ll feel happier after spending time alone and it will make being with your friends even more fun.

Good Luck!

Leslie is a current senior at Purdue University looking to major in industrial management engineering. She discovered Her Campus through her sisters, who had been apart of it when they were in college. She enjoys dancing, singing, cooking and traveling.
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.