Ways to Stay on Track During the Mid-Semester Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Every year from high school to now, this time of year I find it hard to stay focused on school. Balancing social, work, and personal life can be difficult and exhausting and overwhelming for many people, but what can you do when you feel are drowning in school work from every which way? To avoid falling into bad habits like skipping lectures for naps, forgetting about upcoming assignments, or avoiding studying by binge-watching your favorite show on Netflix, try the following tips.

Buy a planner, seriously a total lifesaver

After I got my planner it was so much easier to remember upcoming events. When writing out your plans for the week you can get a better idea of how much free time you have. It also allows you to keep track of events like exams or assignments, so you’ll experience less “oh my gosh, that was due today???” moments.

Go over your syllabi again, a good refresher never hurt anyone

This is ESSENTIAL for staying organized. It contains vital information for the semester, and you should take it seriously. In high school the syllabus meant little to nothing and was just something you would have your parents sign for points and then move on with the school year. On the other hand, most college syllabi will be your guideline to passing the class. It will have your professor’s information and, most importantly, a class outline and schedule. Adding important dates from your syllabi to your planner makes you aware of upcoming assignments or exams. Planners are great but there are other options too such as setting reminders on your phone, keeping a calendar, or writing on a white board.

Attend your classes, after all you’re not going into debt for nothing

Okay, yes this is so much easier said than done but will allow you to keep up with the content better and if you have questions you can ask while you are there. You never know when your professor could surprise you with a quiz or even throw out huge hints for upcoming exams. So instead of skipping your 8am to snooze, chug some coffee and take a nap after class is over. And if that doesn’t motivate you, try calculating how much is spent on each class, that will for sure remind you what you invested in.

Make time for yourself, you deserve it

All work and no play make you a dull psycho… or whatever Stephen King said. College is HARD, but everything becomes a little easier when you have fun every so often. Put aside a part of your day for bettering yourself, mentally, physically, or emotionally. After countless hours of studying and work you deserve to go out with your friends, take a hot shower and do a face mask, or getting to the gym and working out all frustrations. When you feel refreshed and recharged hopefully you will feel that maybe things are more manageable than you think.

Malorie Demo

Purdue '23

A freshman pursuing an undergraduate degree in communication, a feminist and animal rights advocate. I love to have a good time and enjoy all life has to offer.
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.