This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

There is only one person we get to be with for the rest of our lives. When everything else fades away, when everyone leaves, when things go wrong or there seems to be no hope, the only person that remains with you, and that is yourself. Significant others may come and go, friends enter and leave our lives. As cheesy as it may sound, you are the only one that constantly remains by your side. And if you think about it, you’ll realize you’ve always been there for you.

When you were three and stumbling while you were learning to walk, you picked yourself up and kept on going. When you were starting middle school and your crush didn’t notice you, you dealt with it in your own way and focused on yourself. When you struggled to write your college applications, it was you who reminded yourself what you were working so hard for. And now, even amidst life’s ups and downs, even though you may think you are a failure sometimes, you are still there for yourself. And that’s all that really matters.

Honor that. Honor the small moments you get to spend by yourself. Cherish the breakfasts you make for yourself, the books you chose to read, the movies that make you laugh. Treasure the tiny victories in your daily life: the assignments you finish a week before the deadline, the mornings you take yourself on a walk just to feel the sun on your skin. Celebrate the mistakes you make, for they help you grow as well. Fall in love constantly with each version of yourself, growing

And if someone else doesn’t appreciate your beauty, so be it. If someone else doesn’t understand your little quirks and passions and flaws, it’s okay. You are there for you, and that’s all that really matters. This Valentine’s Day, remind yourself that you are your one true soulmate, and that you deserve to be treated as such. Focus on your own growth, and on becoming the best version of yourself. And buy yourself some flowers and chocolate while you’re at it.

Alessandra is the vice-president of Her Campus at the Purdue chapter. She monitors article progress, ensuring they are uploaded on time and helps solve any problems that may arise. She is currently a senior at Purdue, majoring in Business Management, minoring in English Literature and concentrating in Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Alessandra has worked for Victoria's Secret PINK as a campus ambassador, helping with the marketing and communications of the brand. She is passionate about entertainment and wants to work in the industry after she graduates. In her free time, Alessandra loves doing any kind of sport or physical activity. If she's not surfing, swimming or dancing, you can find her eating pasta, reading, making very specific music playlists, watching movies and traveling everywhere she can.