This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

From Tide pods to TikTok, the youth of this generation produce what some people consider to be
a chaotic life. But who said that was a bad quality to represent?

This generation (specifically Gen Z) has stunned the world. These individuals have offered the
population a chance to now expect the unexpected. This process can be glanced at and assumed
as “attention-seeking” for personal benefit; although, this perspective is formed along the lines of
seeking attention for the greater good. By standing up for what is right, you are putting yourself
in a vulnerable stance. Vulnerability causes individuals to apply greater strength to overcome
their position at that exact time. This generation has seen the change that needs to be done and
are approaching it with a selfless, and do not forget chaotic, method.

A simpler way of idealizing this concept is to put yourself in the shoes of this generation.

Gen Z has been raised with surrounding mindsets that unknowingly immerse themselves in the
exact systematic oppression that is damaging them. Concurrently, Gen Z is the first generation to
be introduced to a new foundation of knowledge, skills, etc. that allow them to analyze this and
therefore see through the injustice that is naturally embedded in identity politics. This
combination of forming an evolved perspective with the continuation of underdeveloped ones
surrounding you is the secret recipe to Gen Z’s unforgettable approach to real issues.

“But what’s the point?”

The answer to this question is not the words, but the response itself: these issues are finally being responded to.

Issues Gen Z sees as important are typically associated with the “New Left”. This consists of various marginalized identities that share the lack of access and resources to reach an equal playing ground with dominant positions of power. The New Left was a term coined in the 1960-70’s: it is 2021 and these real experiences are still not prioritized. Anytime a non-chaotic change is initiated, the power-dominated system we still exist in today does not adapt to the changes that connect with any equality-based critiques presented. This leaves individuals personally and socially affected by non-prioritized issues left in their stagnant position, and therefore no hope of future change.

The youth of this generation IS that future change. These individuals are not a force to be taken lightly. They do what they want, when they want, and how they want because they know with a newly remodeled perspective of love, equality, openness, innovation, and uniqueness, every individual can be the 100% version of themselves. This takes strength. This takes dedication. This causes chaos. The kind of chaos that Rosa Parks brought when she did not get up from her seat. The kind of chaos that heteronormativity has brought to households with LGBTQ+ youth. The kind of chaos that Martin Luther King brought to the minds of dominated power structures that paved the path for emerging marginalized individuals today.

Chaos throughout history has been the most result-driven characteristic displayed amongst many
movements, leaders, etc. Chaos is what gets the people talking, moving, innovating, and
changing like we need them to. Chaos directs attention away from unnecessary matters and
provides a direct effort to build a positive systematic change. This generation’s undeniability to
be seen as chaotic is the exact key we need to break through socially unjust walls that barricade
our population from acting together as one.

(she/her/hers) Junior @ Purdue University with a major in Hospitality & Tourism Management and a double minor in Event Planning & Meeting Management and Women's, Gender, & Sexuality Studies As a part of Her Campus, my goal for this organization is to give women something to resonate with. Through content on all aspects of a collegiate woman's life, my contributions to Her Campus will help further build a safe, fun, & welcoming foundation for women everywhere.