Wellness

“That Girl” or “This Girl”: Letting Go of Toxic Wellness and Becoming Your Best Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

That girl. She wakes up at 6 am., she drinks a gallon of water and meditates. She does some yoga poses and writes 5 things she is thankful for in her journal. She proceeds to run three miles and take a shower where she moisturizes her skin and puts on a hair conditioning mask. Finally, she makes a protein shake and enjoys it with two pieces of avocado toast.

Meanwhile, there are the rest of us, mortals. Some wake up at noon, tired from a night of scrolling on TikTok and worrying about the future. Some managed to wake up early for their 9:30 am class, but failed to embark on a complete morning routine and are feeling bad after seeing productive girls on Instagram. Sometimes, we don’t have time to make a green juice at 8:00 am or hit the treadmill to start the day. And that is truly okay. The “that girl” trend romanticizes a lifestyle of productivity and health, inspiring us to become the best version of ourselves and engaging in constructive habits to improve our bodies, minds and our futures.

But what happens when this image of perfection becomes an obsessive pursuit? An endless pursuit of something impossible. Seeking the perfect diet or exercise routine can lead to obsessive, controlling impulses, and can even lead to serious mental illnesses or eating disorders. When in reality, we should stop trying to be “that girl” and start being “this girl”. The girl within. When we begin nurturing the girl within, understanding our needs and desires, only then will we truly grow.

So, who is this girl? Maybe she’s not the girl who goes for a run at 8 at sunrise, but she can play soccer with the passion of a pro player. Maybe she’s not making celery juices, but her banana pancakes with peanut butter fill her heart with joy. Health and beauty is owning who you are, and finding wellness, happiness and purpose in the little habits that make your every day a little brighter.

Our sense of self-worth should never be tied to our productivity or to how many things we get scratched off our to-do list. Sometimes the best thing for our health is staying in bed, eating your favorite meal and watching a comforting movie. Life is about balance, about getting your veggies in but also eating pizza with your friends at 3 am. It’s becoming this girl, instead of trying to be “that girl”.

Alessandra is the vice-president of Her Campus at the Purdue chapter. She monitors article progress, ensuring they are uploaded on time and helps solve any problems that may arise. She is currently a senior at Purdue, majoring in Business Management, minoring in English Literature and concentrating in Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Alessandra has worked for Victoria's Secret PINK as a campus ambassador, helping with the marketing and communications of the brand. She is passionate about entertainment and wants to work in the industry after she graduates. In her free time, Alessandra loves doing any kind of sport or physical activity. If she's not surfing, swimming or dancing, you can find her eating pasta, reading, making very specific music playlists, watching movies and traveling everywhere she can.