Life > Experiences

Romanticizing the Winter: 3 ideas to have fun and escape the routine in the freezing weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

If you are struggling through the winter and these months, you are not alone. As an international student who is not used to the cold, navigating the winter has been a challenge for my mental health and my well being. However, this winter has also been exciting, new and full of adventures I had never expected. I want to share with you some fun ways of romanticizing the winter season and spicing up your routine, so you can live your best life daily-even in 20 degree weather.

1. Go on a spontaneous ski day-trip

Last weekend I went to Perfect North Slopes in Indiana for the day, on a last-minute trip to ski for the day. I had never skied in my life, and it was an amazing experience. My friends and I made memories that we will always remember, all while getting away from West Lafayette for a while, exploring new places and exercising! (skiing is seriously an amazing workout).

2. Exploring new restaurants

If you are tired of dining hall food or of cooking for yourself, go out for lunch or dinner with your friends in West Lafayette or the greater Lafayette area. There are tons of delicious restaurants with excellent options, and it can be a fun way of relaxing, catching up with your friends and treating yourself to a delicious meal. Some of my favorite places are East End Grill and Red Seven (try their Truffle Lobster Mac and Cheese, it’s life-changing).

3. Go ice-skating

Ice-skating has to be one of the best winter activities there are. If you are feeling especially inspired by the Winter Olympics, spend an afternoon or evening at the skating-rink with your friends. Laughs, falls and a good time are 100% guaranteed!

Alessandra is the vice-president of Her Campus at the Purdue chapter. She monitors article progress, ensuring they are uploaded on time and helps solve any problems that may arise. She is currently a senior at Purdue, majoring in Business Management, minoring in English Literature and concentrating in Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Alessandra has worked for Victoria's Secret PINK as a campus ambassador, helping with the marketing and communications of the brand. She is passionate about entertainment and wants to work in the industry after she graduates. In her free time, Alessandra loves doing any kind of sport or physical activity. If she's not surfing, swimming or dancing, you can find her eating pasta, reading, making very specific music playlists, watching movies and traveling everywhere she can.