mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Refreshing Snack for Hot Summer Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

When the temperature outside rises, we like to reach for those nostalgic treats like ice cream and lemonade to cool us down. Sometimes, however, we get a little tired of the same things that we enjoyed when we were younger and playing in the sun. My favorite summer treat was always a popsicle, and it didn’t matter what flavor. I wondered that since I can make my own ice cream, why wouldn’t I be able to make my own popsicles? I did some research and discovered the endless possibilities in making your own cold treat that are better than what you get from the ice cream truck. Here are some tips of how to make your own popsicles!

Invest in a popsicle form!

This may sound odd but believe me, it’s worth it. I use mine every week in the summer. They keep the wooden stick standing upright and usually contain six compartments to pour mixture into, so you can make multiple flavors. Forms can be found on websites like amazon for as low as $9 which is a super great deal. However, if you don’t want to spend extra money, you can use muffin tins for short popsicles, it works the same.

Use any fruit you like!

These are your treats! If you want to make a pineapple popsicle, do it! Look up some recipes on the internet that will provide you with the correct ratios of liquid to fruit and if there are other goodies to add. My personal favorite is a mix of raspberries, strawberries, blackberries and coconut milk. Might sound strange but it’s so yummy.

Use yogurt instead of water!

A lot of recipes use water as the liquid base but that can get boring. Use Greek yogurt as a substitute and for a higher protein snack. You can use flavored yogurts too, like raspberry or blueberry and then add fruit into it. No matter what you do, Greek yogurt can help switch up your snack if you get bored with it.

Summer is more fun with chilly snacks to cool you off and these are so much better than lemonade in my book. I hope you have fun making these and don’t be afraid to get creative! Happy Summer!

Good Luck!

Leslie is a current senior at Purdue University looking to major in industrial management engineering. She discovered Her Campus through her sisters, who had been apart of it when they were in college. She enjoys dancing, singing, cooking and traveling.
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.