This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Yes, it is trendy. Yes, it makes you look smart and yes, you give off Rory Gilmore vibes. But
reading is more than an aesthetically pleasing activity that makes you – or your Insta feed –
mysterious and intellectual. I have always loved reading, and I couldn’t be more excited for it to
become a “trend” again, especially thanks to TikTok (BookTok is very entertaining). Here are 5
reasons why you should make reading a priority in your life right now:

1. It’s the perfect form of self-care.

You know the feeling: you put away your homework, make a hot cup of chocolate or coffee, grab
a snack and snuggle in your bed ready to escape into someone else’s life. With all our daily
obligations, assignments, extracurriculars and social activities, taking breaks is essential for our
mental and physical health. Putting time aside to read while eating or drinking something
comforting is an excellent way of showing yourself love and indulging in some much needed
“me time”.

2. It’s so much fun

I know, reading can sometimes feel like a chore. But trust me, if it feels that way, it’s because
you haven’t found the right book yet. There is truly something for everyone, no matter how
“niche” or specific you think your tastes are. Whether you are into romance, exciting fantasy, or
high-paced thrillers, there is a book out there for you. Once you find what you want, reading
becomes not only fun, but addicting. “Only one more page” is the biggest lie you’ll tell yourself.
Guaranteed.

3. It makes you smarter

Reading is basically a workout for your brain! When reading, you make connections with the
knowledge you already have, keeping your neurotransmitters working tirelessly. You develop
your vocabulary as well as developing empathy for different characters, improving your
emotional intelligence in the process. Reading gives you the same entertainment Netflix does,
but with the benefits of an intelligence boost.

4. It can help you make new friends

Who hasn’t bonded over Harry Potter or argued over who Bella should have stayed with in
Twilight (team Edward, for the record). Reading the same books as other people creates deep
connections and helps you make new friendships in the process.

5. It looks cool

It just does. Whether you are reading in a coffee shop, on a bench in the park or standing in line
for your class, you’ll look intellectual, attractive and aesthetic with a book in hand. It’s a fact.

Now, close the Netflix tab on your laptop and head to the nearest Barnes and Noble. You’ll thank
me for it later.

Alessandra is the vice-president of Her Campus at the Purdue chapter. She monitors article progress, ensuring they are uploaded on time and helps solve any problems that may arise. She is currently a senior at Purdue, majoring in Business Management, minoring in English Literature and concentrating in Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Alessandra has worked for Victoria's Secret PINK as a campus ambassador, helping with the marketing and communications of the brand. She is passionate about entertainment and wants to work in the industry after she graduates. In her free time, Alessandra loves doing any kind of sport or physical activity. If she's not surfing, swimming or dancing, you can find her eating pasta, reading, making very specific music playlists, watching movies and traveling everywhere she can.