Career

PINK’s GRL PWR Spotlight Article: Lauren Ashby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Victoria’s Secret PINK has brought back the GRL PWR Project. PINK is looking for 10 women to award $25,000 to power their dream projects surrounding women empowerment, education, or sustainability. The application is open from 2/5 until the closing date of 2/25 at 11:59 p.m. EST. We all have dreams, goals, and aspirations for the future. Do you have something you want to pursue to help bring change to the world around you? If so, this is the perfect opportunity for you to get after it.

In support of the GRL PWR Project, we have chosen to spotlight girl bosses, who are crushing it on the campus of Purdue University.

Meet Lauren Ashby! She is a Junior pursuing a major in Finance, and calls Crown Point, IN her home. We had the pleasure of asking the girl boss running “Tailgate Clothes by Lo,” about herself and her journey as an entrepreneur. She has a passion for being a good friend, strives for perfection, and is always down to go watch some Purdue Basketball! As for hobbies, she loves to read. She always is sure to end a good night by having a good book on hand to read, on her nightstand. She shares with us on some insight on her perspective of what GRL PWR means as well as how she started her flourishing business! We hope that this interview, will help you become more motivated and inspired to pursue your own goals and dreams, just as Lauren had.

HC: How did you start “Tailgate Clothes by Lo?”

A: I was going to the Elite 8 game when Purdue made it last year. I was going out to dinner, so I didn’t want to wear a generic Purdue T-shirt, and I was going to a basketball game, so I didn’t want to wear a dress. I decided to paint the back of my denim jacket! I figured if I ruined it, I could just throw it out and buy another one. Then everyone loved them so much, so I made a few more!

HC: Did you overcome any difficulties of starting up your own business? A: Lots!! Starting a business is hard work! Figuring out how to start a business is even harder. I have spent so many nights doing research on how to improve things like marketing, operations, accounting. When you start a business, you have to wear many hats.

HC: What would you like to see for the future of “Tailgates by Lo?”

A: I get asked this question a lot! I don’t have a direct answer, but I cannot wait to expand to more schools. I have lots of new things being prepared for 2020 that I cannot wait to release. At the beginning, I was really rolling with the punches when making business decisions, now that I have the hang of things, I am able to have more of a plan before I dive in. 

HC: What does GRL PWR mean to you?

A: GRL PWR means encouraging other women to do powerful things. Supporting each other to put ourselves out there, so we can accomplish our goals. 

HC: Who do you look up to that embodies GRL PWR? A: Kendra Scott. She has an office full of women and her motto is that family comes first. I have always wanted to be a mom, and if my business grows, I would have the same motto.

HC: With having your own start-up business, any advice for girls who may be interested in pursuing their own as well?

A: Just start! You cannot fail without starting, and you cannot succeed without starting. Just jump in, work hard, and make it happen. If Kendra Scott can do it, so can we.

Lauren is quite an awesome gal if you ask us! If you enjoyed reading more about her, make sure to follow and support her business on Instagram: @tailgateclothesbylo.

Sharon is pursuing an undergraduate degree in PR & Strategic Communications at Purdue University. She is a Tennessee girl at heart, has a passion for fashion and to create. Truly a gal on the go. Find her on Instagram: @sharonjin_