New and Not So New Music You Should Listen to

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

I was beginning to feel like I was listening to the same songs over and over again, when the last week of March and the first week of April came with a bang.  Whether you are more into indie music, pop, or even YouTuber music, the music is banging this week and I’m going to share some of my personal favorites.

1. Ben Platt: Sing to Me Instead

I know of Ben Platt from his starring role in the musical Dear Evan Hansen (I highly recommend that soundtrack as well) and his debut album showed up on my radar unexpectedly.  His songs are touching and real, from the happier bops New and Share Your Address to songs that can make you cry like In Case You Don’t Live Forever.  If you are looking for some new songs from a well-known name in the musical world, I definitely recommend this album.

2. Billie Eilish: When We All Fall Asleep Where Do We Go?

Okay, it’s time for a confession: prior to listening to this album, I strongly believed that I did not like Billie Eilish music.  I had heard Bury a Friend in passing before and thought it was cool, but otherwise was not impressed by this artist that so many people love.  However, when I heard that she sampled my favorite show (The Office) in one of her songs, I knew I had to listen. My Strange Addiction got me hooked on how she created her album and after listening to the rest of the album, I was officially converted.  Whether it’s the amazing beat behind songs like Bad Guy or the popular song Wish You Were Gay, this album is a well-rounded project that I will have on repeat for the rest of the month.

3. Jonas Brothers: Cool

This one sort of goes without saying, but the Jonas Brothers making a comeback has been a highlight of 2019.  I am still obsessed with Sucker and was surprised to hear they were already dropping another single. Cool, is a fun kick-backed summertime song, reminding us that warmer weather is coming.  This single is definitely worth the listen and I can’t wait to hear what else these guys drop in the future.4. Pewdiepie: Congratulations

Now for some people, YouTuber s making music is not their idea of good music, but as a person who loves YouTuber this is a type of music I love.  For those who don’t know, Pewdiepie is a Swedish YouTuber in a battle for the number one most subscribed channel with a corporation out of India called T-series.  Previous to this song, he produced a song called Bitch Lasagna (which I also recommended) and he made this song as a sort of celebration of the inevitable T-series victory.  I am putting this song on the list because the beat and actual music get stuck in my head, and for those who love YouTube, the lyrics make the song even better, dissing T-series and collaborating with some other awesome artist on the platform.  Long story short as a YouTube nerd this song is a bop and I enjoy it and even if you aren’t up on what’s going on, you can enjoy the beat and the music.

AJR: Dear Winter.  For those with a more alternative music taste, this group is the band for you.  Personally, this is my favorite band of all time, so I am eagerly awaiting this new album and every new single they out becomes a favorite of mine.  While 100 Bad Days and Birthday Party are more upbeat songs, Dear Winter shows the acoustic deep side of this band, singing about the future child one of the band members hopes to have with the recurring line “But I gotta meet your Mom first”.  This group is on the rise and their album Neotheater coming out later this month is highly anticipated, so until then I can’t recommend the singles of the album enough.There is so much more new music that I still need to listen to, but I think it’s safe to say that April is coming hard with the new music and I can’t wait for each new bop these artists put out.

Sammy Bonnet

Purdue '21

Sammy is a junior at Purdue University majoring in Elementary Education. When not preparing for her next class, Sammy can be found constantly listening to music, wishing that she was at Disney, or watching her favorite Youtubers!
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.