stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Tried Those Pads That Won’t Kill Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Near the end of July I started seeing crazy videos on Facebook about how my pads and tampons were supposedly killing me. The main point of the videos were to show how synthetic materials are harmful to the skin and are full of chemicals that can damage my reproductive system. I thought nothing of this since I had no issues with my regular pads and tampons.

Before Aunt Flo came to visit I decided to stock up like I normally do before the worst week of the month. This led me to take a trip to my wallet’s worse nightmare, Target. After I touched everything in the dollar aisles I wandered to the feminine hygiene section only to find a new product among the usual suspects.

I have never been adventurous with my feminine hygiene products. I have used the same brand and style since I had my first period in 6th grade. This brand had never let me down previously so I had never contemplated trying anything new, until I saw this trend-setter.

The packaging was the first thing that caught my eye. It was just so clean and aesthetically pleasing. I could not help myself from instantly grabbing it, I had never seen such a product before. These pads are free of pesticides, fragrances, chlorine, rayon, and dyes which is extremely nice for someone like me who has super sensitive skin. I continued to read even though I knew one would find its way into my cart. L., the company producing these pads has an awesome one-for-one mission, which means for every pad sold, one is given to a girl in a developing country who may not have access to feminine products. BOOM, I threw it in the cart along with a pack of tampons.

So I roll up to the checkout expecting to drop $30 on tampons alone but come to find out a pack of 42 pads and a 30 pack of tampons were each only $6.99. That was what I was paying for my previous products without them donating a pack to a girl in need. But price and charity do not mean a thing if they don’t perform right. So I tested them for the next three months.

Before trying these I never thought there was anything wrong with my previous products but I can say now I am never going back. My previous pads were made from a slightly plastic material which was absorbent and got the job done but the cotton pads were so breathable and did not rub against my skin or give me hives. The tampons were also better, I had previously rarely used them since they were always uncomfortable or made me feel “dried out”. I feel like this will be the product I use until probably menopause.

Overall, I love the whole idea of the brand and what it stands for as well as their product. While I don’t think other products are poisoning my body I still love the feel of this extremely reliable one.

Rachael Lowe was born in northern Indiana (the Region) and was raised knowing she would be attending Purdue. As a third generation Boilermaker she is majoring in Agricultural Economics and minoring in Communications. Her passions are traveling, wine, and puppies. In her free time she likes to craft, paint, have a nice glass of moscato, watch movies with friends, and bake. When Rachael graduates in May of 2018 she plans on having as much fun as she did in college. Follow her on Instagram @rachael03