Career

How to Stand Out During Virtual Job Recruiting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

It is no secret that the last six months have been very different. Our lives have changed. As a society, we have had to adjust to cater to a global pandemic to protect our health and others. This means, that for college students, fall recruiting season is going to look a little different as well. Most companies have started to adjust their plan of action for hiring new interns due to the circumstances. This includes career fairs moving to a virtual setting and interviews being conducted over the computer. Here are some ways you can stand out!

Show personality!

I know this may be an obvious one, but it is important to remember. During a normal, in-person interview, you would have the chance to connect with the interviewer. However, this is a little more difficult to do over video. To stand out, try to be yourself. These interviewers are ultimately looking for someone who will do the job well, but also someone that they would enjoy working with in the future.

Put yourself out there!

Due to the online nature of career fairs and interviews this season, opportunities will be knocking at your door! You just have to open it. Do your research and apply for everything you see. Go to company presentations and info-sessions that are online. Recruiters host these events, meaning that you will have the opportunity to introduce yourself. Take advantage of these opportunities!

Don’t be scared to fail!

Failure is inevitable. There will some jobs that you apply for that just do not work out, and that is okay! This just opens the door for the next opportunity that may be a better fit. However, this won’t happen if you don’t try. You cannot be scared to interview and attend career fairs, out of fear of not getting the job. You never will with that energy. There might be a job you come across that you may not be totally qualified for. That is okay! Go show those interviewers exactly why you are the perfect person for the role.

You got this! Go kill it!

Andi Baker is a Campus Correspondent and Senior at Purdue University, majoring in Actuarial Science and Applied Statistics with minors in Management and Art and Studio Design. Originally from Manila, Arkansas, Andi loves to drink sweet tea, read, and make art. You can follow her on Instagram @andibaker