This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

It’s not uncommon for many young adults to go through a rough time called long distance. During this time, two partners live a far distance from each other to where it is hard for each of them to visit each other on a daily or weekly basis. Some couples may go months or even a year without seeing each other and it can have a big toll on someone’s relationship. Long-distance is very hard for most, if not, every couple that has had to endure it at one point in their life. It can lead to a ton of relational turbulence, such as fear of abandonment, trust issues, lack of communication, and even separation. However, there are ways to make this stage in a relationship doable and less stressful than it needs to be. Here are a few of my tips to dealing with this rough time from someone who has had to go through long-distance before and has to in less than a year again.

Communication is key

Communication is key in any relationship, but it is especially important in those that are within a far distance from one another. Make sure you take time out of your day to check in on your partner and see how they are doing. Send a good morning text and a goodnight text and let them know you are still thinking about them every moment of every day. Updating your partner about what is going on in your life is especially important too. Talk about the things you used to talk about when you were physical with each other to make the feeling of loneliness not feel as lonely.

Facetime is your best friend

It’s almost as if facetime was invented for things like this. Facetiming someone is a lot more impactful than simply calling them on the phone. Talking to someone face to face shows a lot of respect and care for the person you are talking to. It also allows for some sense of normalcy.

Do things you enjoy

Take time out of your day to do things you love and make you happy. It can allow you to get your mind off things, regardless, and enjoy the time you have in the present. It can ease your mind and make you less stressed out too. It also lets your partner see you are happy and content while they are away. The last thing they would want to see is you sad and upset because they moved far away.

Talk about it

Talking about your feelings with others can be a big stress reliever too. Talk to your friends and family about what you may miss most about the relationship and ways they can help you feel happy again. It also allows you to reminisce on moments with your significant other or close friends.

Long-distance relationships are very common and can be very hard on most people. By doing things such as talking about it with others, doing things you enjoy, and facetiming those who are far, your levels of stress and loneliness can drop. Most couples go through this in their lifetime, so don’t worry, you aren’t alone. Long-distance is a time for couples to grow and experience a lifetime obstacle together that can test the limits of their relationship.

Ava Smith

Purdue '23

Hello! My name is Ava Smith. I am a junior studying Advertising and Film Studies. I am from a suburb of Chicago called St. Charles and enjoy all the wonderful parks it has to offer. My hobbies consist of writing, filmmaking, and spontaneous adventures with friends. Currently, I am the Multimedia Manager for Boiler Communication and Social Media Moguel at the Hub on State Street. This is my second year being involved in Her Campus and I am so excited about all the new memories and opportunities I will make this year and for years to come!