GOL Bars: Protein in Bar Form

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

*Sponsored Post: All opinions are 100% our own

Over the years, my parents have gotten me to try almost every protein power bar under the sun. I’m talking Larabars, powercrunch, and Rx bars. After all the years of trying each of the protein bars, there are very few that I absolutely cannot stand. This semester the Purdue chapter received the new Garden of Life GōL Bars.

When I first saw them, I was ecstatic that I was able to try a brand new bar that had just come out on the market. I assumed it would be like the Rx bars that I am addicted to, so I was expecting another health bar on steroids that would taste amazing and be super healthy and good for me. Similar to Rx bars, each bar has everything that it’s made of on it.

The first one I tried was the Chocolate Sea Salt flavor. It has 12 grams of milk protein, 10 cashews, 2 dates, chocolate and sea salt. My first reaction to trying them was bad. I definitely did not like it at all. There was an insane gritty texture that was really chewy and I could barely taste the chocolate! It reminded me of a healthy gritty tootsie roll!  After trying the Chocolate Sea Salt bar, I decided to try another flavor just in case I might like another flavor a little bit better. So the second one I tried was the Maple Sea salt flavor.

I definitely think these bars are an acquired taste because as soon as my boyfriend tried it…he couldn’t understand why I didn’t like them. It was a completely 180 degrees from my reaction. I just couldn’t believe it! I’m pretty sure I checked with him at least a couple times to see if he really enjoyed the bars and each time, he just kept taking more and more bites. So if you’re thinking of trying them I would at least try them once, because you never know if you might have the right taste buds for these bars. And if you end up not liking them, well at least you got a bite of something that’s insanely healthy for you and full of protein.

All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.