Gift Shopping Made Easy: LUSH Holiday Collection 2016 Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

As a busy student, I sometimes get sponsored cool new products to help me get through the exhausting trials and tribulations of college. Okay, yeah, that sponsor is my mom, but whatever. Same concept.

LUSH is a popular company known for their exquisite bath bombs, innovative soaps, body cleansers and organic face masks. The best part is that they are all cruelty free, handmade and 100% vegetarian (according to the LUSH official website). The products smell heavenly and are great for your skin and body. For these reasons, they also make the perfect holiday gifts for a friend, family member, girlfriend and even your boyfriend! Skincare and self-care is not gender specific.

Here are my reviews of some of LUSH’s most popular products as a gift idea for your holiday season!

WHOOSH Shower Jelly

Online photo vs personal photo

Shower gel…jel…jelly? What’s a shower jelly? Always trying to stay ahead of the game in new and fun varieties of soaps for fans of the brand, LUSH created this gem as a jiggly alternative to standard shower gel. There are many types of shower jellies, (even one that is supposed to resemble Santa’s belly in his red suit with a belt buckle!) but the one I received is called WHOOSH. It’s described by the company as “a citrus rush to banish brain fog,” and is branded as rejuvenating and energizing, suitable for fighting jet lag or focusing to study for exams. This jelly is made with real lemon, lime, and grapefruit juices and comes in a plastic LUSH container.

It’s blue, wiggly, smells strongly of citrus and overall cleanliness (think window cleaner but way less of a harsh/chemical scent), and looks like a big Jell-O shot that I really want to take (it is indeed not a Jell-O shot, please do not consume soap).

It felt weird to stick my finger inside the perfectly smooth, satisfying surface of the gelatinous material, rip off a small chunk and use it in the shower, but I got over it once I lathered up and began to smell all the citrusy fresh notes that hide inside the shower jelly. The jelly has a pretty strong, revitalizing scent that stayed on my skin for about 20 minutes after I got out of the shower, so I would say that the claims of WHOOSH being an energizing scent are true. It’s definitely a less delicate smell, so probably not something you would want to apply before bed. Rather, I recommend using it in the morning to get your day started with a lemony zing. Overall, WHOOSH gave me a nice clean feeling, and it was really fun to use such a nontraditional soap in my routine.

Snowcastle Soap

Online photo vs personal photo

LUSH’s Snowcastle soap is a holiday favorite of many people. It’s made with rose and benzoin resinoid, which is known for having a “sweet vanilla ice-cream scent” which, according to the LUSH website, soothes the skin. This product is my favorite out of those that I received. First, I love the creamy almond-y vanilla marzipan scent that the soap gives off. It is perfectly sweet without being too sickly strong. I am also a very aesthetic person, so I really appreciate that the Snowcastle soap actually resembles a castle constructed with snow! The picture doesn’t do the soap full justice because in person, the soap is way more glittery, putting forward the appearance of a winter wonderland. It’s so shimmery that my fingers picked up the glitter simply from holding the soap! Unfortunately, most of the sparkles rinsed off of the soap after the first use…*crying emoji*. In the shower, the soap goes on very soft, perfect for moisturizing that dry winter skin we all despise. I didn’t feel any sticky residue on my skin afterwards, either. If you’re looking for a seasonally appropriate holiday gift, Snowcastle is a perfect option.

Snow Fairy Shower Gel

Online photo vs personal photos

Snow Fairy shower gel is a limited-edition treat, that’s very aptly named for the season. How cute! Every bottle has glitter included (LUSH calls it biodegradable “Fairy Dust”) to give the shower gel a fun, pretty quality that makes it different than most shower gels. This scent is also very unique. I love all things pink, girly, and shimmery, so I personally enjoyed it, but I would say that Snow Fairy is a matter of personal taste. The scent is markedly very sweet and sugary. It smells like a combination of bubblegum, vanilla and everything confectionary. As I took off the lid and smelled it for the first time, it smelled noticeably nostalgic to me, and that’s when I realized that it almost smells like that sugared-down pink children’s liquid Motrin or cough syrup, but way less gross…if that makes sense. Let’s put it this way: If you’ve always been a fan of adorable cotton candy lip balms and cupcake-scented body sprays, this scent is for you. If you prefer a more sexy and sophisticated musk or floral scent, I wouldn’t recommend this to you. That being said, Snow Fairy is a favorite of mine, and I love using it to add some sparkle and sweetness to my daily routine!

Maypole soap:

Online photo vs personal photo

I audibly said, “Oooh” when I unwrapped Maypole from its crisp paper wrapping. It has a very colorful and exciting look, and is almost how I imagine a fossilized watermelon would look. However, don’t let its bright colors fool you. The scent of Maypole is minty and fresh. It’s made from peppermint oil and Canadian maple syrup which makes for just a hint of sweetness. I was surprised to find that my skin was left physically tingling and feeling fresh and clean after rinsing in the shower. I have never experienced that with other soaps, but the authentic peppermint oil did the trick. It was awakening and re-energizing, like the WHOOSH shower jelly I reviewed earlier. Overall, Maypole is a refreshing and gorgeous product that I would recommend for anyone who is trying to wash all the regret of the semester away.

Happy finals, happy holidays and happy shopping collegiettes!

In a relationship with mac and cheese. I'm made of memes, a lil bit of anxiety, and pop culture references that nobody understands. I enjoy dancing, writing, cats, and coffee. Your average Becky. You can hear my laugh from miles away probably.
Danielle Wilkinson is an Atlanta native and currently a senior at Purdue University studying Mass Communication. She is the co-correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Purdue. She has written for several online and print publications in the past including The Purdue Exponent, The Tab, Society 19, Study Breaks Magazine and Voy Study Abroad. She loves traveling, shopping and everything entertainment, especially movies and TV, but 90s rom coms will always be her favorite. She hopes to move to California one day to pursue a career in marketing. In her free time, she loves YouTube, watching movies with her friends, working on her novel, drinking tea and reading books.