Five Easy Activities You Can Do to Reduce Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

More and more young adults are struggling with stress every day. Whether it’s the constant buzzing of out phones or the life changes that we may be dealing with, stress is not fun and makes out lives harder. Here are some easy ways I have found to reduce my stress and live happier. I know that for some stress comes from money, so here are some low cost/free options to help!

Journaling

Now, I know this isn’t for everyone, but don’t knock it until you try it. All you need is a notebook or some paper and a writing utensil. I am careful not to make this a chore for myself. I do it when I am called to and I don’t force myself to write if I don’t have time or and not feeling like it. Sometimes I write whatever I want, and other times I use some structure from journaling inspiration I find online. This helps me to see the things I am feeling, and by putting them on paper I feel like I can let them go.

Reading

Reading for me is like an escape from reality into whatever fantasy world I want to be in. Most libraries now offer apps that you can download to check out free books, magazines, audio books and more! It lets me read lots of books, and if I don’t like one, I don’t have to commit to it. I can instantly virtually return it!

Painting or drawing

I am not very artsy and certainly not gifted in the painting or drawing areas, but I enjoy it. There are apps for this as well or you can just use a pen and paper. It is like a release of tension from the day. Just let you hand take the pen across the paper and enjoy the moment of peace.

Cooking or Baking

This is definitely my number one stress-reliever. I love to cook or bake a meal or some desserts. It brings me so much joy to see other people enjoying the things I have made. I also love when I try a new dish and it turns out, or a dish that I have been trying to perfect finally comes out right. It always feels like such a great personal victory!

Moving!

Not necessarily working out, but just getting up and maybe going for a walk or doing a few stretches. Maybe it is lifting something a little or working out and going for a run. I just feel so much better and more relaxed when I get up and move around, even if it’s not much!

Leslie is a current senior at Purdue University looking to major in industrial management engineering. She discovered Her Campus through her sisters, who had been apart of it when they were in college. She enjoys dancing, singing, cooking and traveling.