Eating Clean While in College: 4 Tips to Conquer the Challenge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

It is never too late to make lifestyle switches. There are many different eating lifestyles that have circulated around social media, especially since many were trying to fight the “quarantine 15.” I am not a dieting fanatic, but I love challenging myself to the clean eating lifestyle from time to time. 

According to Emily Brown of Mayo Clinic, eating clean means limiting highly processed snacks, sweets, and other packaged foods and consuming more whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats. Emily Brown describes why I love clean eating so much when she says, “Clean eating isn’t black and white. There’s room for flexibility and modifications, and it doesn’t require avoiding any certain food groups.”

In high school it was fairly easy for me to stay consistent with clean eating, so I was definitely disappointed when I could not keep up with the lifestyle during my freshman year of college. With a meal plan, and not enough access to a grocery store I struggled.

After getting better idea of the food options offered by our meal plan and some methodical planning, I recently have decided to return for round two of Clean Eating vs College Meal Plans! So, I would like to offer some crafty tips that have worked well for me:

Burrito Bowls Are Your Best Friend

While there are many delicious salad options on campus, sometimes I am looking for a meal that will fill me up a bit more. My go-to meal has been crafting my own burrito bowl with brown rice, beans, chicken, corn, lettuce, and salsa.

Stay Stocked on Healthy Snacks

I try to keep my dorm stocked with heathy options for when I want to snack in between meals. I often will have fruit, like mango or berries, for when I am craving something sweet. My favorite salty snack is popcorn because it is such a light, crunchy snack. However, just be careful to pay attention to the amount of sodium in the popcorn you buy. I usually buy lightly salted popcorn to avoid this issue. If you don’t have access to the store, try picking up some extra fruits and vegetables from the dining court to keep in your dorm.

Meal Prepping Helps You Make Good Choices

If you have access to a friend’s kitchen or the kitchen in your dining hall, meal prepping is a great way to stay accountable for your clean eating. Some of my favorite meals to cook are homemade chicken burrito bowls (yes, I really love burrito bowls), brown rice topped with a roasted vegetable mix (zucchini, mushrooms, red onion, jalapenos, and carrots) and chicken, or lettuce wrapped turkey burgers.

Cheat Days Are Okay!

Cleaning eating doesn’t mean its forbidden to indulge in some chips or sweets every once in a while. Moderation is key, so it is okay to treat yourself to Chick-fil-a or a milkshake. You do you, girl!

Making a lifestyle switch can be challenging while at college, and especially if you live in a dorm, but it is not impossible. Clean eating is flexible, so cater it to your body and what you need to take care of yourself. So, the next time you want to challenge yourself, I suggest that you give clean eating a try.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/what-does-it-mean-to-eat-clean/art-20270125

Shanise Buford is a junior at Purdue studying Finance with a concentration in Data Analytics. Originally, she is from Plainfield, IL. In her free time, she enjoys thrift shopping, exploring new coffee shops, cooking for friends and family, and going for walks.