This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Let’s be honest…At one point or another as a child, we all were OBSESSED with the colorful,
bedazzled diaries in the checkout line at Claire’s and Justice. We thought that we were going to
be the main character of a modern-day tween pop culture movie. Most of us drew a few doodles
and moved on to the next, but what if we didn’t? Imagine how amazing and memorable it would
be to have a reflection of daily snip bits to the insights of yourself throughout time!

A lot of us collegiate women tend to be juggling a lot of responsibilities between schoolwork,
extracurriculars, sports, work, etc. It can be somewhat difficult to keep track of not only our
actions but our emotions as well. A diary provides us a safe, reliable spot to channel all these
emotions and pent-up energy. When we feel as though our personal schedule is too ‘messy’ to
align with the human help that surrounds us, we need to improvise with a healthy outlet to
manage our feelings—because mental health IS our priority!

If ‘diary’ doesn’t seem like a term for your taste, we can disguise it as a ‘journal’ with a
simpler-styled notebook (even though Claire’s still has the best fuzzy ones)! Journals can be
found anywhere and come in all shapes and sizes. The thrill we had as children will resurface
when being able to customize such personal material possessions according to our unique
personality traits. Not only is the dopamine rush amazing, but it gives us a creativity outlet which
is vital to discovering what makes you YOU! You don’t have to be an artist, and you don’t have
to be a writer. You just have to be you and grant yourself enough trust to healthily and
CONSISTENTLY explore your own self.

(she/her/hers) Junior @ Purdue University with a major in Hospitality & Tourism Management and a double minor in Event Planning & Meeting Management and Women's, Gender, & Sexuality Studies As a part of Her Campus, my goal for this organization is to give women something to resonate with. Through content on all aspects of a collegiate woman's life, my contributions to Her Campus will help further build a safe, fun, & welcoming foundation for women everywhere.