Black History Month: Female Writer Recommendation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

I wrote an article last semester (“Novel Recommendations to Add More Black Female Writers to Your Bookshelf”), recommending Kindred by Octavia E. Butler. To honor the start of Black History Month, I figured now would be the perfect time to write a Part 2, continuing this segment. This week, I would like to put you all onto Audre Lorde. If you’re more of a poetry gal, this one’s for you.

Audre Lorde described herself as a “Black, lesbian, mother, warrior, poet.” I am currently reading her memoir, The Cancer Journals, in which she shares her battle against breast cancer and struggle to find her voice after a mastectomy. This book transitions between regular prose and journal entries, all beautifully and poetically written. She uses her fears, pain, and sadness after her operation to give her the strength to break the silences between us, dedicating her life and work to fighting racism, sexism, homophobia, and many other social issues.

You may have heard this quote by her before: “Your silence will not protect you,” encouraging women to speak up about our experiences and speak out against injustices. I think this message is extremely important in the context of Black History Month, during this time of racial turmoil. Let her words guide you, throughout the month of February and beyond, in making your voice heard, breaking silences, and bridging the differences between us.

Katherine Raykova is the President at the Her Campus at Purdue chapter. She’s been a part of Purdue’s Her Campus chapter since fall of 2020! She oversees chapter meetings, brand partnerships, a monthly chapter newsletter, and general maintenance to keep her chapter afloat. Her favorite areas to write about are fashion, books, plants, and all things witchy. Katherine is currently a senior at Purdue University, double majoring in Mechanical Engineering and English with a minor in Intellectual Property Law for Engineers. She has completed a year of industry experience working in aerospace consulting and is currently an undergraduate research assistant for the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue. Outside of classes and Her Campus, Katherine is also a writing tutor at Purdue’s On-Campus Writing Lab (OWL) and a mentor for the Women in Engineering program. She hopes to attend law school next year to become a patent attorney. When she gets the chance, Katherine reads and spends as much time outside as possible. She loves listening to music and going on long walks around campus and nearby nature centers – even in the winter. Most days, she practices yoga, plays with tarot cards, and drinks multiple cups of tea. When she feels inspired, Katherine writes fiction or takes on a sewing/knitting project.